Adding onto an outside light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an outside light at my front door that can be turned on from inside on a double light switch the other switch controls the ceiling light just inside the front door. What I want to know is can I take a feed from this outside one to the side of my house and add another maybe 2 lights or downlights in the soffit. I also have a security light at the back door that runs from a wall mounted fuse box in the kitchen if this would help in anyway. Advice and help would be appreciated, Thanks.

Sponsored Links
No- the switches (unless wired in the last few years) are likely to have just a live and switched live in them.

You need a neutral and that will have to feed from a ceiling rose.

If your ok with the existing outside light AND the new lights working in tandem then run a cable from the existing fitting.

If you want separate control then you need to consider a LNE feed from either a f/spur (via a ring main) or (best) from the existing lighting circuit.

That does mean the existing rear security light via f/spur could be used.

It all depends on where you want to switch the new lights and what is in proximity. Only you know that !

If your ok with the existing outside light AND the new lights working in tandem then run a cable from the existing fitting.
That sounds good to me I was just thinking if I added 2 more lights at the side of the house or 4 down lights max in the soffit I would not be putting too much load on anything.Thanks agin for reply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back