adding outside light to shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My block-built shed currently has a mini-consumer unit feeding one double socket and one single light switch controlling a single lighting point. This work was only done last year when I moved in by a proper sparks so is all modern etc, but now I want to add an outside light on the wall of the shed but I will have trouble getting a sparks in just for that, especially down here in Cornwall, so I want to do it myself.
From my limited knowledge, I think/know I need to insert a junction box with a spur to the new lighting point and another to the new 2-gang switch, but I'm not sure where to position it: on the existing cable from the CU to the switch? or on the existing cable from the switch to the current inside lighting point... Or should I continue the circuit from the existing lighting point (a batten fitting)? What's the simple way of doing this job and what connections do I need to make in the junction box and at the switch? I have already fitted the light outside and fed a wire in, and I've also changed the switch to a 2-gang, but connected nothing else up yet.
Any help much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
You could spur off from the the back of the socket with a switched fuse spur.
you can then put the switched fuse spur near the shed door for ease or have it switching via a PIR or dawn to dusk.
This way you are not wasting one of your 2 sockets.

Just ensure that you correctly rate the fuse in the fuse spur and use the correct cable for the conditions.

Sponsored Links
out door location needs to be checked under part p unless is plugged in with a 13 amp plug then its temporary not fixed
although going through walls and clips can make it fixed so still need part p certification
so you need it to be very loose to save argument :D :D ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back