Adding radiator and plastic pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to tap into the central heating system to add a radiator downstairs. I can easily access the pipes upstairs. Couple of questions:

1. Is there any problem with tapping into upstairs central heating pipes to supply a radiator downstairs?

2. The pipes to tap into are plastic. I will be using a different brand of plastic pipe and fittings. Is it best to fit a brass compression fitting to tap in, then my plastic from there on, or can I just connect my plastic fittings straight to this pipe? Don't know if it helps but the existing pipe is grey and I will be using JG white speedfit.

Sponsored Links
1. Is there any problem with tapping into upstairs central heating pipes to supply a radiator downstairs?
If you mean can you physically achieve it, then yes.

If you're asking whether or not the existing distribution pipework can transfer enough heat energy to support the extra radiator, then there isn't [yet] enough information to answer that question.

I will be using a different brand of plastic pipe and fittings. Is it best to fit a brass compression fitting to tap in, then my plastic from there on, or can I just connect my plastic fittings straight to this pipe? Don't know if it helps but the existing pipe is grey and I will be using JG white speedfit.
You're probably describing grey Hep2o and white Speedfit. Personally, I'd stick with Hep2o throughout, and use a Hep2o tee to connect to the existing pipework.

If you prefer white to make it prettier, then you can buy white Hep2o, but plastic pipe won't ever look as pretty as copper.

Don't forget to ensure you can drain this drop - you will need a drain cock somewhere on the new pipework.

Thanks guys.

It won't be an extra radiator, I'm just having to supply it from elsewhere because at the moment the pipes to it run under a floor and I need to take them up.

I am using Speedfit, only simply because I have a lot of other work to do and budget and time is tight. There will be very little on show because I am running it through stud wall.

Can you clarify, can I attach Speedfit fittings to this possible Hep2o or what alternative do I have to join Speedfit to it.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
tscott22 said:
I want to tap into the central heating system to add a radiator downstairs.
It won't be an extra radiator
Wot?

I am using Speedfit, only simply because I have a lot of other work to do and budget and time is tight.
I would still lean towards using Hep2o.

There will be very little on show because I am running it through stud wall.
Pipes in a wall. Oh dear.

Can you clarify, can I attach Speedfit fittings to this possible Hep2o ...
Yes you could, but I wouldn't.

or what alternative do I have to join Speedfit to it.
Join Hep2o to it?

You can mix different pipes (speedfit, Hep, etc) but it is not recommended and an individual manufacturer wouldn't provide a guarantee.

On the odd occassion when we have had to do it then we use the insert that matches the pipe (speedfit insert for speedfit pipe, hep insert for hep pipe). you can then join using what ever brand of fitting you want including compression.

Personally I would use copper pipe and fittings everytime, if I have to use plastic then I make sure the number of joints are minimal and accessible incase of future problems.

.... pipes in walls reminds me of the carpenter and his new nail gun, very proud of it and it was very quick..... after fixing 8 holes in hidden pipes for him, the carpenter is a little more careful with his new toy!

Personally I would use copper pipe and fittings everytime
You would solder? Every time? Why would you do something so bizarre?

if I have to use plastic then I make sure the number of joints are minimal and accessible incase of future problems.
But you don't have to use plastic, because you would use copper pipe and fittings every time.

Yep still got my soldering gear; get less problems with copper and it looks better!

unfortunatelly with the rules on notching joists, we do have to use plastic on ocassions or when we pick-up on existing plastic plumbing.... but change to copper as fast as possible..... call me old fashioned but all the local builders are happier with us because we use copper.

Ah; builders. Indubitedly they are the most knowledgeable and discerning of all customers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back