Adding remote fan for cooker hood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to install a new cooker hood which has to be vented through the airing cupboard above, into the loft and out via a roof vent. I would like to add a remote fan in the loft space operated by the fan switch on the hood, ideally.

Can I run a cable directly from the switched live of the fan control on the hood to the remote fan or would I need an additional FCU for the remote fan installed in the loft to provide an obvious means of isolating the fan? Are there any regulations that may apply that I am missing?

The hood will be connected to a switched DP FCU spurred from the ring final with a 3a fuse fitted.

Thanks

Jason

Sponsored Links
I am about to install a new cooker hood which has to be vented through the airing cupboard above, into the loft and out via a roof vent.
What are your plans for preventing condensation forming in the duct and running down into the hood?

I would like to add a remote fan in the loft space
Why?

PS EDIT:

Just thought - you aren't planning to have the cooker hood vent into the loft space are you? I originally thought you were planning to have the duct run through it to the roof vent, but I'm wondering now if that's why you want a fan in the loft.

If so - abandon that idea forthwith, or you'll get condensation up there and the roof will rot. A fan in the space will do nothing to prevent that.

Thanks for the reply b-a-s.

I should have said extractor fan, sorry.

The ducting will exit the roof via a tile vent. The extractor fan in the loft will be connected into the ducting. There is a weep socket for condensation and the ducting in the loft is insulated.

Bearing that in mind, do you think the extra FCU is ott? :)

Bearing that in mind, do you think the extra FCU is ott? :)
If, as I think you are saying, the fan will get it's power from somewhere (the hood) which is already fed by an FCU, nothing is to be gained by having a second one.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Thanks John,
That's what I was thinking but I was unsure about it (the extractor fan) being isolated in the kitchen.

Thanks John, That's what I was thinking but I was unsure about it (the extractor fan) being isolated in the kitchen.
I don't personally see that as a problem. However, if you wanted, you could have an 'isolator' for the fan in the loft, but that could just be a DP switch - a second fuse would, as I said, serve no useful purpose.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back