Adding socket to Consumer Unit - notifiable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm running all my Ethernet cables to a network switch under the stairs (which is also the location of the consumer unit). There's no power under the stairs so I'd like to add a double socket to power the network switch and also a Network Attached Storage (NAS) enclosure

As I understand it I can break into the downstairs socket ring (right where it enters the CU) and add my new socket and this would not be notifiable. However, since my CU has a load of spare circuit breakers (both 6A and 32A) I'd prefer to have this socket separate from the main ring (A NAS is particularly sensitive to sudden power outages). However, I think this would count as a new circuit and I'd have to get it signed off. Is that right?

Thanks,

Attachments

• DSC_0171.JPG
    DSC_0171.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 245
  • DSC_0172.JPG
    DSC_0172.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 201
Sponsored Links
Thanks Phatboy, Looks like I'll be trying to find an electrician who's inclined to small jobs.

Three points:

1. If you just fit your new MCB and circuit without notifying the local authority, who cares, since they won't know about it? Nothing bad is going to happen.

2. If doing that really bothers you that much, you could wire it as a spur from the existing 32A ring MCB, then it wouldn't be a new circuit and so would not be notifiable anyway. (Daft, isn't it?)

3. Remember that you could have an outage due to numerous other causes anyway. If anything you're running from this new socket is that sensitive to the possibility, shouldn't you be considering a UPS for it?

P.S. Or you might have some other circuit to which you could add your socket, e.g. a 20A radial feeding a few sockets elsewhere in the house. Or you could fit a BS546 5A socket for the equipment and wire it into a lighting circuit at the latter's MCB - Again, not a new circuit so not notifiable.

Sponsored Links
1. If you just fit your new MCB and circuit without notifying the local authority, who cares, since they won't know about it? Nothing bad is going to happen.
That is close enough to advising people to commit criminal acts for it to be unacceptable.

Please stop.

[QUOTE="PBC_1966, post: 3494596, member: 231435

Or you could fit a BS546 5A socket for the equipment and wire it into a lighting circuit at the latter's MCB - Again, not a new circuit so not notifiable.[/QUOTE]

What's the betting the equipment he wishes to power has wall worts which won't fit round pin sockets?

That is close enough to advising people to commit criminal acts for it to be unacceptable.
I merely stated the facts. Realistically, nobody is going to know (or even be likely to care if they do) and we're talking about adding a socket on a new circuit in one's own home, not robbing a bank!

What's the betting the equipment he wishes to power has wall worts which won't fit round pin sockets?
Fair point.

I merely stated the facts. Realistically, nobody is going to know (or even be likely to care if they do) and we're talking about adding a socket on a new circuit in one's own home, not robbing a bank!
Do you have that little respect for US laws?

It's nothing to do with where any law originates, it's about whether that law is overly restrictive and burdensome to the point of involving completely unreasonable trouble and expense.

Add that socket in the cupboard, run a few feet of cable into the CU and connect it as a spur on the existing ring MCB and that's all just fine and you'd be happy, but do exactly the same job except for connecting to a new 16A MCB instead and you'd be upset if the person doing it didn't notify the job and pay a three-figure sum to the local authority for the privilege to satsfy a petty regulation which is never likely to be enforced anyway? Come on, be realistic.....

It is a silly scenario

Connect a new socket using 2.5mm upto a existing 32A MCB and that is within the regulations.
Connect a new socket using 2.5mm upto a existing 16A MCB and that is against the regulations.

Come on, be moral and upstanding and decent.
Let's see: Hand over a couple of hundred pounds to get a piece of worthless paper from the local authority (or more likely to argue about whether they would issue it), or keep the money and actually have enough to pay the food and heating bills at the end of the month. I'm quite happy that when in England my choice was quite moral and decent, thank you.

Connect a new socket using 2.5mm upto a existing 16A MCB and that is against the regulations.
I assume you meant to say new 16A MCB. It just doesn't make any sense, does it?

Well there are already some spare MCB's fitted! including a B16

Don't even have to touch the bus bar !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back