Adding Water Treatment To Central Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a filling loop and a pressure gauge and need to drain the system as the water is black. When i refill, do i add any water treatment/protector and how do i do this ?

Thanks for any help. :D :D

Sponsored Links
You can either use the gel type and insert it with a mastic gun through bleed nipple. Or cheaper liquid type with system completly empty remove an upstairs rad rad valve and pour it down the pipe.

Or...

Drain some water out of the CH system using a downstairs rad or pipe with a drain point on. Drain enough so that when you "bleed" an upstairs rad you no longer get water coming out from the bleed point (because water level has dropped below the bleed point).

Then take out complete screw in fitting from rad that houses bleed screw using an adjustable spanner (or you can take out complete bung at other end top of rad).

Then I use this which I made earlier:

P1010215.jpg

It's a funnel, a length of hose... and a brass part from a garden centre (one end fits onto hose and other end screws into rad).

Then pour inhibitor into funnel. Then, when done, put rad bung back in and refill system (bleeding as required).

Job done.

A lot cheaper to buy inhibitor via bottle than via the tube.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back