treatment of primatic systems

I

ianblue

I have just added Wickes central heating treatment AAAAAAAAAAAAAAhhh I hear you say. But I didn't know - meeeaowww.
The radiators all filled with air and the hot water from the taps, ah mmm turned brown Yuck
Now I have found out that I should not have used the treatment.
What am I to do???? :cry:

Sponsored Links
Take the cylinder out and chlorinate it before putting it back in service, or better still change it for an indirect cylinder.

In the meantime do not use the hot water.

I expect that the Wickes treatment is so weak that you could bathe in it!

Primatic cylinders are so troublesome that replacing it would be the best option.

Tony

:D I have drained and flushed my whole system now I am back to crystal clear water. Now that I know what a primatic cylinder is and how it works, I think it is a brilliant concept - No moving parts - No header tank - No ball valve- no timber framework to support - less plumbing!!!
Would I change it - Are you mad!! This thing has been in the house working for 25 years ( last owner) and never hiccuped. It only went wrong when I unwittingly added treatment. Hats off to the inventor!!

Sponsored Links
If it was so wonderful why doesn't everyone use one ??? They are not fitted any more, dont you wonder why?

The reminds me of the Reliant Robin. Economic and drove well as long as it was in a straight line! I wonder why the makers went bust?

Tony

:D Well Tony I think its rather obvious why they are not used so much now although you can still buy them. Almost everyone wants a combi these days when there is no need for a dhw cylinder or any make-up tanks.
Anyway I am perfectly happy with mine and I am confident that it will still be working perfectly in 20 years time.

ps If you want to drive fast round bends you shouldn't buy a Reliant Robin!!!
Horses for courses old chap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back