Additional 3rd Switch for Landing Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of doing my own loft conversion, I have taken a spur from the existing landing rose to a new rose on the "New Landing". These two ligts are served by two swithces. I now need to add a further (3rd) switch on the new landing to work the same two lights. IS THIS POSSIBLE?

Sponsored Links
Assume the two lights are switched by two two-way switches. What you need now is an Intermediate switch between the two other switches. Cost about £3. Live in one end, then twin & earth all the way through to last switch, then switched live to lights. Ideally you would use special 1mm twin & earth with two red wires but I use ordinary 1mm Twin &earth.

is not normal for four core lighting cable to be used in two and three way switching sorry if i am wrong trying to help

Sponsored Links
Ideally you would carry a variety of cables to suit all situations. In practice I standardise on simple Twin and earth and Triple and earth for lighting. Not heard of three-way switching unless you mean an intermediate switch between two two-way switches! I use junction boxes a lot in lighting circuits so only live and earth go to light switches and switched live from them.
Once you have standardised on wiring types in a house try to be consistant how you apply it. Think of the next owner opening up your lighting switch and trying to understand how it connects elsewhere!
The worst thing you can do is not keep some record of your wiring however crude for future owners.

[Edited by Hamiltonandy on 11-10-2002 at 19:15 PM GMT]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back