additions to kitchen electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am refitting my kitchen and replacing microwave, oven, hob and extractor.
I was planning to get an electrician to do the oven and hob so that I wasn’t breaking the law but I now find that the microwave and extractor seem to require more sophisticated connection than the old ones too. (Can’t quite remember exactly but it was something like 3-pole isolating switches). My query is – will the electrician be able to take spurs off the existing ring which is about 15 years old for the extractor and micro or do the new regs say that the whole kitchen has to be re-wired ?
Ditto for the hob, will he be able to use the existing hob circuit, which is a separate one just for the hob but again 15 years old, or will he have to rewire the whole thing back to the consumer unit?
Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
I now find that the microwave and extractor seem to require more sophisticated connection than the old ones too. (Can’t quite remember exactly but it was something like 3-pole isolating switches).
The microwave won't - only 2 pole. So a switched FCU, or just plug it in.

Is the extractor a wall/window fan, or a cooker hood? Unless the former, and it has a timed overrun, it won't need a 3-pole isolator either, but even if it does it won't be hard to fit.

My query is – will the electrician be able to take spurs off the existing ring which is about 15 years old for the extractor and micro or do the new regs say that the whole kitchen has to be re-wired ?
Provided there is nothing wrong with the existing circuit then it won't need rewiring, and there are no regs which say it must be.

Ditto for the hob, will he be able to use the existing hob circuit, which is a separate one just for the hob but again 15 years old, or will he have to rewire the whole thing back to the consumer unit?
Ditto. Although you might want a new circuit if there's a big mismatch between its capacity and the load of the new hob and you want to avoid the breaker tripping.

What is the rating of the MCB/fuse for the existing cooker circuit, and what is the rating of the new hob?

Thanks for the response. I got all the manuals out last night meaning to look up the technical info on my appliances today and guess what - left them all in the hall so I can't supply the info. However I think you have answered by main concern which is that I shouldn't need a complete re-wire in any area as long as the old circuit is good. Many thanks again. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back