adeck & task manager

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
me grandson's computer might have a virus,? on the desktop theres a box which says" access violation a address 004174ff in module a deck.exe.read of 0000060....when you try to click it off you get a another message box saying, task manager as been disabled by your administrator...does anybody know what the problem might be.thanx

Sponsored Links
Here's how you solve this sort of problem in XP...

Step 1 Do a google search for the .exe or .dll you are concerned about. Look at the answers given by more than one source. Bleepingcomputer.com is good, as is processlibrary.com.

In this case, adeck.exe looks like it might be an audio driver and it also looks like it is non-essential - it can be disabled without doing any harm.

Step 2 Disable the .exe so that it doesn't load at startup. Start>Run>(enter the following) msconfig>OK and look for the process under the tabs marked 'Services' and 'Startup'. Uncheck the box next to the service. Click OK and Restart.

Step 3 When your computer restarts, check the box which says 'Don't show this message...'. This will make sure you don't keep getting a reminder about it. Done!

Alternative Step 3 Download and run CCleaner. Click 'Tools', then 'Startup'. Look for adeck.exe and uncheck it. Restart the computer. Done!

Any problems, just retrace your steps and recheck the boxes. Use these tools with caution. If you uncheck things without taking care, you might create more problems than you solve.

I would also suggest you download, update and run Malwarebytes AntiMalware to check for anything that may have disabled your Taskmanager, then look here: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Taskmanager_error.htm

got the adeck disabled,but now the active desktop won't load,tried to do a system restore but it just hangs there,did a scan with spy-bot and the result is "trojan.vundolsd6" i downloaded ad-adaware to try and get rid of it but it' still there..if i do a fresh install,will it still be hid on the hard-drive.thanx

A reinstall would almost certainly fix it, but before you do it, try Malwarebytes

The free version is what you need - download, install, update and scan. Use the Quickscan option and fix everything it finds - it might take a half hour or so. Then reboot. If you have the time, do a full scan - this could take as much as a couple of hours.

Sponsored Links
ok i did the malawarebytes and it did the trick.im'e left with a bright blue desktop with all the icons,the computer works in browsers ok,but when you try to alter the desktop in display properties,it won't let you.Themes-screen saver-appearence works ok.

thanks deadjoe for your help, were up and running now. it was a registry fault and "desktop hijack fix 1.2 sorted it out and it's running ok ,antivirus is downloaded and i hope it keeps things in ordered..thanks again.

Desktop HiJack Fix 1.2 looks like a useful tool. I'll add it to my list of repair tools. Good find!

If you are certain you are up and going, you should consider dumping all your restore points, because they will be compromised by whatever malware attacked you. You won't want to use them.

Try Start>Control Panel>(Classic View)>System and look for the System Restore tab. Check turn off system restore on all drives, wait for it to turn off and restart your computer. When you have restarted, turn System Restore back on by repeating the steps and unchecking the box you previously checked. Your PC will then start creating more restore points without the malware.

I'm glad you've got sorted. If you are looking for added security, you might consider migrating to Firefox or Opera browsers and not using Internet Explorer...

Sponsored Links
Back