Adjusting doors and windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved into a house which was a repossession and the doors and windows seem to have been fitted by the previous owner.
As such, there is daylight visible above the french windows and a clear gap around the front door which needs to be leant on for the locks to engage correctly. One of the windows also has a noticeable gap which lets a draught in.

The windows are date stamped from 2005, so I would not think the seals are a problem, especially in the case of the front and french doors.

The question is, is there a way of adjusting the fittings? for example, i would think that the front door needs to go about 2mm in to the fame all round.

Thanks

mick

Sponsored Links
pvc or wood !!!

is the gap around the frame!! is it a bad fit between frame and doors/windows!!!!

if you have gaps at certain points between window/door and frame it could be the frames are badly fitted out of square or out of wynd [parralel edges not parralel]

PVC

My opinion is that these were not fensa fitted although they are date stamped 2005.. On the french doors, the gap is only at the top of the left hand door (looking out) and the bedroom window only blows through on one of 2 side openers. How would you check the parralels?? the only thing i can think of is a 10 foot long straight edge!!

Cheers

mick

Sponsored Links
ok stand facing the frame to one side almost parralel to the frame line the inside edge on one side with the outside on the other dont move your head just your eyes downwards the amount off the frame should remain constant if you see a change in the amount of frame or space you see its not parralel [closing one eye may help]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back