adjusting hinges on double glazing ?

Many thanks for extra tips and support - much appreciated.
Holding my breath for tomorrow now....

Sponsored Links
I need reminding to keep breathing....get so caught up with things that forget to do everything !!!!
Funny the things we say without thinking ...
cheers again

Just throwing my 2 pence in here.

Lubrication is key! Most companys dont mention to their customers but as with most things in life if you want it to last you should clean and lubricate moving parts once a year.

To be honest I havent read the whole thread but from what I read it sounded like the hinges arnt pulling in tight on the hinge side.
Assuming you catch this condition early enough (Ie hinges havent been forced or bent out of shape) you can usually solve it by lubricating. A good clean, squirt of silicone spray to the joints and a bit of vaseline in the corners that pull the side of the hinge in (I use vaseline as its less messy than grease).

I find about 60% of the time this will solve the problem and as it only take 5mins is well worth trying before replacing the hinges.

Sponsored Links
BIG PROBLEMS TODAY..........
thanks for further thoughts - please throw as many 2 pences in as you can to help...
anyway, today did not go well unfortunately.
Managed to unscrew the window and safely manoever in. Took a little while but now having done it it will be easier on the second window...
Replaced the hinges on window 1, both arms located in the extrusion channels and 2 of the previous holes lined up well on each arm.
There was a little slider block in the lower old hinge slideway that had broken which could have accounted for that pivot pin moving out from its centreline and also the fixing screws had loosened a bit but not enough to account for the amount that the window didn't pull in.
Bad news is that the hinged side of the window is not pulling in any better, in fact worse, with about 8-10mm gap all the way up - can't understand this as the new hinges should be aligning the window and frame correctly unless there is something fundamentally wrong.
Also, the egress type hinges that I have now fitted don't allow an access gap now to clean the outside - the previous hinges were not egress type - I believe you can get egress+cleaning opening hinges as an alternative which maybe would be better in fact.
Anyway, didn't bother starting the second window, and have left the ill fitting new hinges on the first until I sort what to do next ??
The new hinges are well lubricated already so I don't think that is an issue now.
Adding some picture of the lower hinge fitted and the old hinge held alongside - any thoughts ???

Is that gap all the way around?
Can you show a photo of how the hinge side is closing up?

thanks for quick reply, the left had picture is looking down the left had (hinged) side - the big gap originally was more at the bottom but is now even all the way up

Just noticed the orienation of that photo is showing the hinge side.

Very strange indeed...
Looking at the 2nd pic you posted from underneath the open sash (when you started the thread on page 1) it looks as if the hinge could be fiited upto 10mm closer to the outside of the frame.
Although this could just cause new problems it may be worth attempting.

Sorry but thats all I can think of

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back