Admitting defeat with retail paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Looking for a bit of advice. My wife bought 1L of dulux matt colour mix retail thinking it would cover a 2.5x4m wall. It doesn't so I need to buy more...

Should we admit defeat with retail and get some dulux trade matt instead?

Can we put the trade paint over the first (patchy) coat of retail paint or will this cause issues?

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
It will be fine to apply the trade version over the retail version.

According to the retail site, 1.44L is recommended for 10 square metres (two coats), but that is just an estimate and doesn't take in to account how thickly you apply the paint (or the extent of colour change).

According to the Trade site, 1.18L is recommended for 10 sq m, again 2 coats. You can however thin it by 10% with water (20% if new plaster- first coat).

As a professional decorator, I prefer using the trade version, but I have to admit, there have been a few times where I used the retail version, and in some cases it covered better that I had expected, other times (often the lighter colours, it required an extra coat).

Thanks for replying. The trade version is about £2 more than retail so no brainer really.

The retail paint seems fine for lighter colours with no drastic change ie we've gone magnolia to dulux rock salt. It seems fine but the issue is putting the dark green (fortune green) over the same magnolia colour.

I think 1L was very optimistic going by the coverage advice!

Hopefully we can thin the trade paint to a better consistency for a decent application

Thanks again, appreciate your help

Sponsored Links
I did once have to go from a cream colour to a deep purple in a customer's daughter's room. It was the retail version.

I only had to do one wall.

To be fair, two coats covered adequately. I was pleasantly surprised. I had assumed that I would need to apply a third coat- I was ready to charge the customer for a third coat- but it wasn't needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back