Advice cleaning dishwasher - tried vinegar and baking powder

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I thought someone hear might be able to offer some advice
My dishwasher smells of bad water
I did some research on the internet - I've tried white wine vinegar and baking powder (I assumed this was the same as baking soda?)

The inside was smelling nice after

But then when we did another wash, the bad water odour was still there
All dishes washed have a bad smell :(

I've looked down the drain - at least I mean I got my hands dirty by poking around there to make sure nothing was there!

The smell just suddenly came one day - i.e. there was no build up of getting smellier over a few weeks or anything

Next step: buy one of those cleaners - they cost about £5 - and you only get to use once!
I thought I'd ask here incase anyone had any advice before buying

Thanks

OM

Sponsored Links
have you cleaned the filter?
i assume this is the filter:
zBseP.jpg

it seems to be ok - not dirty or clogged up

this is where the filter sits:
27ZDo.jpg

also there's this other thing on the left, i took the cap off, and there's water filled up tot the top, see here:
AnHF3.jpg

could that be causing problems? should it be filled with water to the top?

thanks

I don't know what brand yours is, but on mine, the big perforated cover lifts out. You would have to read your instructions to see. Also read how to remove the spinner arms to remove food fragments.

If you have lodt the instructions you can probably find them on the manufacturer's website. You will need the model number. On Bosch and some other makes the numbers are on the top edge of the door.

Show us where the waste hose goes.

I can't see any salt in your salt reservoir. How often do you refill the salt?

What tablets do you use?

Why did you think vinegar and baking powder would help, and where did you put them?

Does it fill with cold water straight from the incoming main? Do any other taps smell?

Sponsored Links
Show us where the waste hose goes
see this image:
C6J26.jpg

I assume this is it?

or is it this one:
V4GSf.jpg

I can't see any salt in your salt reservoir. How often do you refill the salt?

What tablets do you use?
salt???
erm... what's that for!? i never knew u had to put salt somewhere?
do i just pour a load of salt down there?

in this image the thing on the left that has water filled up, the cap says salt:
AnHF3.jpg

(am i being extremely dumb or what!?) :)

I don't know what brand yours is, but on mine, the big perforated cover lifts out. You would have to read your instructions to see. Also read how to remove the spinner arms to remove food fragments.

If you have lodt the instructions you can probably find them on the manufacturer's website. You will need the model number. On Bosch and some other makes the numbers are on the top edge of the door.

What tablets do you use?
it's a fujitsu, i could see any part numbers, all i saw was this:
Gd6Cv.jpg

i'm sure the model number must be there somewhere, i'll have a closer look later

we use finishish powerball tablets

the perforate cover thing u mention, i've lifted that up. there was a few bits of debris down there, nothing else, apart from water

Why did you think vinegar and baking powder would help, and where did you put them?
i did a search - there's looads of places saying this is how u fix
what methods do u use?

Does it fill with cold water straight from the incoming main? Do any other taps smell?
yes, it fill straight from cold water as far as i know

other taps smell... erm... yes actually... i wasn't sure where to look... the smell comes and goes - could this be the ultimate cause of problems?

where should i be looking?

thanks for your help

yep, you need to read the instruction book.

I don't understand why the makers badge says "Siemens" but you say it is a Fujitsu.

the waste hose is too low, it needs to be looped up so that the top of the loop is right up against the top of the work surface.

If it is lower that the water level in a full sink, the dirty sink water will run down the hose into the appliance, with bacon fat, tealeaves, sour milk etc in it.

If all your taps smell then you probably have a different plumbing problem.

It is very important that you work out if the smelly water comes direct from the main, or from the tank in your loft with a drowned rat or pigeon decomposing in it.

The thing full of water marked salt is your salt tank, you need to buy special dishwasher salt and pour it in to the water filled hole (the water will get displaced as you do it). It probably isn't causing the smell though, it's for softening hard water.

Just to make sure you know, DO NOT USE NORMAL SALT!! you need special dishwasher salt, normal stuff will wreck the machine.

Dishwasher cleaner, £1 from the pound shops.
Your waste outlet does not have the require arch in it to avoid syphoning which means you kitchen waste water can run back into your machine causing a smell.
The base of the filter housing can get a build up of grease on it, [can only be seen with the help of a torch and sticking your head in the machine.] May need manual removal , can also affect the operation causing machine to constantly empty [in detects the grease as water and can't shift it]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back