Advice for building blockwork garden shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've done a search but not sure it answers my questions.

I'm building a single skin garden shed that will be used as a storage room, and I wanted to find out the correct blocks to use for this - are concrete blocks ok for this purpose or should I be using another kind (thermalite?).

I've heard about damp/condensation problems - is there any way to eliminate them in single block structures? Do I need to do anything special to the foundations? (will be trench filled concrete).

cheers

Sponsored Links
You're 7N or 2.9N blocks should be OK I should think for a single skin. Some engineering blocks at ground level then a DPC would be a good start. What are you actually storing that damp and condensation is going to be a problem?

Not storing anything of great importance, (househould stuff, bikes, tools etc), but would like to make sure i'm not overlooking something important.

thanks

Sponsored Links
You are better off with t a lightweight concrete block (not thermalite) say 3N, and ones with a closed smooth face rather than ones with bigger pebbles and more open voids

You wont stop condensation, but the blocks should be able to deal with it by absorbing moisture and not letting it stream down the walls. But you should have some permanent ventilation.

No special foundations required

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back