Advice for wall papering novice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, I'm going to attempt wallpapering for the very first time

I've got a paste table, sharp knife and blades for cutting, roller and tray for pasting,

What else will I need ?

I haven't chosen the paper yet are there any advantages to "paste the wall" or standard paper ?

Any tips would be great - I am only doing 1 feature wall, no windows/doors

Thanks in advance :eek:

Sponsored Links
You will get a much better result if you crossline the wall first, using good quality lining paper and the same paste as you intend to use for the top paper.

Leave it to dry for at least 24 hours before applying the top paper.

Cut lengths of top paper approx 5 cm longer than needed.

Use a good quality readymix paste such as Solvite or Sanderson Elite and paste the wall as well as the paper. If the paste is too sloppy (often possible if you make up your own) the paper might get too wet and then shrink when it dries.

Once you've pasted the paper, leave it to 'book' for the recommended length of time (see the label on the roll); fold the length over so the edges don't dry out while it's booking. Then apply to wall, starting with the edge (butt it up to next piece). Don't pull it around or overbrush it.

Obviously,line up the joins so the pattern matches exactly.

Trim off top and bottom with a sharp knife and Wall Whiz.

If you are a novice, you might find paste the wall papers easier to use as they don't need to be timed - you just put them on the (pasted) wall.

If the joins do separate when dry, stick them back down with border adhesive.

Throughout the whole process handle the top paper as little as possible, keep brushing to a minimum and don't stretch it.

Main thing here is don't play it to much.don't stretch if you can help it.
Soak time is Important with thicker papers.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your replies

I have purchased "paste the wall" paper so hopefully the will make it slightly easier for me

Will crossline on Saturday/Sunday - wish me luck !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back