Advice for window support - Pics Incl.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As part of an ongoing refurb I need to replace the old rear metal windows in our bungalow.

One is a straight swap for new but the other forms part of the rear metal door, which is also gonna be replaced. I haven't decided yet whether to use UPvC or wood frame windows/door as it backs out onto a sunroom which also will be refurbed.

I intend raising the level of the door/window sill to match the other in order for a Rad on the inside. Thats pretty straight forward.

:idea: But how would I deal with the upright support needed between the current door and window - Metal/wood/concrete? and how would I tie this into the concrete floor/plaster ceiling?

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
what makes you think that the frames's stile is supporting.

is there not a lintel above?

some upvc door stiles (uprights) contain an alluminium reinforcing section specifically to add strength.

You'd have the unit made up as one piece which would then be offered up to the opening and fastened through the sides.

Sponsored Links
Noseall

By stile I presume you mean the metal frame between the door and the window. I don't know if it is supporting or just integral to the whole unit.

There is a lintel above running the width of the two units.

Joe

I looking at the option of possibly fitting a wooden frame and say a good quality Howdens door. I would need some sort of frame to tie in the door to. Also I cannot afford the expense of a bespoke Upvc unit but would have to buy off the shelf. It seems easier to seperate the units if i went down this route.

If I chose wooden would I need a post or something to tie the door into?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back