Advice needed: hedge trimmers (cutters)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello people (wizards)

I've got tall high hedges to cut (new home), the tallest is about 4 meters, the length of the hedges is about 30 meters at least.

Can you recommend any good and reliable trimmer with extension thingy (to cut higher), are petrol powered ones better than electric, are they safe (I've never done it before)

Any help will be appreciated

Sponsored Links
With that size of hedge no question, go for petrol. I’ve got a massive hedge down one side of our very large garden & the electric cutter I already had was a totally under specked for it. I looked at the Stihl unit with the trimmer/chain saw extension but baulked at the price & bought a budget one off E bay. Worked OK for 3 years but is rather heavy after an hour or so & then this year, I noticed the gearbox casing had fractured. It still works but I’m not sure for how much longer & I now wish I paid the extra for the Stihl kit.

Hello there, the last poster mentioned buying a stihl hedge trimmer for your hedge. Stihl equipment is usually for trade use where a tool is required to be fit for very heavy use and they are very expencive. With your diy use I would reccomend something like the makita brand which is more suited for diy use. I am a farmer-contractor and use stihl strimmers, chainsaws daily without any faults but these machines are costly to purchase and maintain properly. PS don't buy any of the B&Q, Focus rubbish-it wont last for more than 1 use. I purchased a petrol leaf blower from B&Q a few years ago and it gave up after 10 mins-had 6 replacements on warenty, all did the same.

Sponsored Links
The previous posters are exactly right. You do need petrol and something above the normal diy kit.

My next door neighbour hired a guy last year for a job similar to yours. He turned up with a Husqvarna extending and angle-adjustable hedgecutter with which he did a grand job. Apparently you could attach other things like a strimmer to it, too.

Wish I had one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back