Advice needed on draining a closed CH system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My combi boiler (Ariston EuroCombi SX20 MFFICE) makes a groaning noise for 15-20s when I draw hot water, and after reading a few threads here it looks like a scale problem. Apart from the noise everything is working perfectly fine.

1. I was intent on putting some Fernox Boiler Silencer in to see if things improve, but I noticed while bleeding a rad that the water is slightly tainted. The boiler was changed 8 years ago and the CH system properly flushed throughout then but hasn't been flushed since. Should I flush it anyway or should I try the boiler silencer first?

2. If the boiler silencer doesn't fix the problem or I decide to flush straight away, I guess I will have to treat the CH system with Fernox Restorer, flush again and refill with Fernox Protector.
My combi boiler is on the ground floor and my house is over 3 floors with 9 rads. Is it good enough to open the drain valve on the lowest rad of the system, open the bleeding vent on the highest rad and let go to drain the system, then refill until water shows up at the bleeding vent of the highest rad? How long is this likely to take?
Is there a risk of getting things wrong with this approach, like getting air stuck in places?

Regards

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back