Advice needed on new plumbing work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just completed my first ever soldering plumbing job and pretty pleased with the result. However, I am getting a little paranoid about if I have deburred the pipes correctly or not. I used a deburring tool as pictured below and counted 8 revolutions on each end of each pipe, I think I may have weakened the pipe if I had done more. The pipe still looked a little rounded as I used a 15mm Autocut cutter to cut (fitted a fresh blade before use). I have been told that rounding of pipes is common with fixed size tube cutters. Do you think I have derburred correctly? Just been reading loads of scary articles on this sort of thing causing velocity erosion and pin hole leaks in pipes. Worried as I plan to box and tile over the piping.
I bought an Autocut cutter as the plumber who fitted my aunt's new boiler used one, I never remember seeing him deburr a single pipe however. No leaks yet and that has been installed for nearly two years so maybe it's not so much of a problem.

The second issue I have I believe is relatively minor and easily corrected. I did not remove the flux as I soldered. I have read that this also causes pipes to corrode. Been about 24hrs, will the pipes still be ok? Will a good wash of the outside of the pipes with hot water and stubborn bits removed with wire wool be ok?

Sponsored Links
Most of the installers I've come across don't bother to deburr pipes, don't worry about it, and I'm sure yours will be fine as you have done it too.

If you didn't wipe the pipework / joints then any residual flux will make them go green, a wipe with a wet rag will clean them up, or if they've already gone green some steel wool

The use of a wheel cutter will reduce the internal bore size when cutting copper pipe. Deburring that ridge is recommended, but rarely done.
Older style cutters always had a deburring attachment. Monument cutters still have this feature.

Sponsored Links
And there was me thinking that triagle-shaped thing was for getting stones out of horses hooves.
1.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back