Advice needed on putting a shed roof back on....aaargh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We got a second hand shed (18'x12') at a decent price, it needed a new frame for the floor, I did that and set it on pads using a water level so it's bang on and the diagonals were perfect.
Got a few mates around and started assembling it- all the walls went up no problem and it was all sitting nicely. The roof had been split into 4 equal panels, and 3 of us couldn't lift them up into place due to the weight of several layers of felt so we stripped them of that and off we went putting them in place. They have 5 ties (forming an "A" shape) inside and the first half went together perfectly. The second half was a nightmare.
The joiners who got it for us told my OH the ties were numbered which we kept in order. Unfortunately as ever when stuff arrives it's only her that's ever here- after getting the roof in place a neighbour who was helping said "why does that corner have an X and a 4 on the roof and wall and the other an X on the wall and a 4 on the roof.... barely visible I must add!

The whole roof is now on the wrong way around and doesn't seem to sit at all well- but curiously the brace numbered 3 is dead centre so is as it should be. But surely it shouldn't matter on a shed which has been put together in sections off site?

The roof has a sag at the centre of the ridge and no amount of jigging it seems to make a difference.

Would my best solution at this point be to support the ridge in the centre(cheek screw a vertical stud to the inside) and remove all the ties, see if I can raise the ridge by tapping in opposing wedges under this temporary stud, then if I can get it into a better shape re-drill and bolt the ties(I realise the triangle they form at the moment is seriously stopping any attempts at moving it! )? It's supported ok at the gables.

As the shed is essentially 2x9' lengths along the walls I'd probably need to put a tie horizontally at eaves height inside to stop the walls spreading too though.....

Suppose this is the pitfall of a second hand shed- do they rarely ever go back together perfectly? In this case I never saw it assembled either(advised it was good by a friend...!!), so maybe the sag was already there.

Main problem is we want to box profile sheet it an a sagging ridge aint gonna make that a pleasant job!!

Any advice appreciated...!
:)

Sponsored Links
Well, nae replies but I thought an update would be prudent. I removed the bolts from one side of the ties after putting in a central strut and then got the ridgeline perfect after putting in a gradually increasing bigger strut in the centre. I redrilled all the ties with M10 bolts and a 10mm bit. Job done....and then removed the strut and the whole fecking thing has sagged again. This I do not understand one bit :eek: ....it defies the laws of trigonometry....

Might need to do it again and put in that horizontal tie at eaves level as it seems to be the walls "bowing" at the centre that is the real issue....

A friend of mine bought a large second hand shed of e.bay about 8x5mts, paid £1500 if memory serves. He asked me if I would lend him a hand putting it together, well that was were the fun started we could not seem to get it to fit, so a few calls to the seller revealed that it was one of ten that were used as santas grotto's over the festive period and we got the last one, all the bits no one else wanted what a ball ache. abc. not sure what your problem is but could you not get yourself some lenths of 4x2 and make some trusses, then sheath them in ply then you will not have any problems with sag.

Sponsored Links
Ta for the replies....sorted it out today though, had to go up to Toolstation in Inverness for stuff for it, just prior to this I went back in and stuck the strut back in to prop up the roof line. I hadn't noticed that in doing this I was effectively pulling apart the rafters from the ridge boards, no more than 6-8mm either side but this was the cause of the problem- hence no triangle, (and when the strut came out it sagged back to the original position)...
I bought a pack of those plastic packers (for crap joiners who can't first fix properly...!) while there and packed each gap out when I got back home. I kicked out the strut and the roof line dropped maybe 5mm, a vast improvement.
I know the walls are bowed just slightly now but the whole thing looks far better now. Got the breathable membrane on it today and now it's time to get the box profile sheeting for it....

It's as good as it's gonna get!! short of putting in a horizontal tie which would be in the way anyway...

I'll post up a few pics once it's finished!

;)

Aye a right bargain- new base, new roof covering, just need new walls and doors and it'll be like Triggers brush from Only Fools and Horses!! he he... :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back