had a roof quote could someone help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i got a quote for some work on my roof both internally and external could anyone tell me if the price is good or not please as i really have no clue
the work is as follows
1. Replace broken tile on rear of roof.
2. Settle back into place dislodged tiles on roof.
3. Wire brush all ridge caps and replace all cement mortar.
4. Instal wooden braces inside Attic on 2 square meters of celotex roof boards to prevent any further sagging.

total cost £480 and gauranteed for 12 months

many thanks

Sponsored Links
I am no roofer, but sounds a bit on the high side to me. Sounds like less than half a days work for one person.

i got a quote for some work on my roof both internally and external could anyone tell me if the price is good or not please as i really have no clue
the work is as follows
1. Replace broken tile on rear of roof.
2. Settle back into place dislodged tiles on roof.
3. Wire brush all ridge caps and replace all cement mortar.
4. Instal wooden braces inside Attic on 2 square meters of celotex roof boards to prevent any further sagging.

many thanks
1 yes that needs a ladder .2 how dislodged? unusual for those tiles.3 pointing is a dubious method, might not last long best ask a proper roofer on here ;) 4 DIY job surely. Hope this helps

Sponsored Links
Thanks for reply nige is this the correct place to post this to ask a roofer or should i have posted else where

Right place - but I'm a plumber/maintenance guy - not a trained roofer . Just not 100% sure about the ridges ( without asking my builder mate)

Unless you can get a decent depth of mortar on the ridges then it's a waste of time pointing them, first frost or high wind and the mortar will be off.

Unless you can get a decent depth of mortar on the ridges then it's a waste of time pointing them, first frost or high wind and the mortar will be off.

Absolutely... wire brushing isn't going to much. If they are just being pointed they need to be raked out to a decent depth.

Had 3 quotes in total now 2nd guy yesterday said i need a whole new roof and he could give me a great price surprisingly ... thought to myself man u must be good u only looked in my attic didnt even bother going up ladders to inspect tiles etc infact didnt even go round back said didnt have to as the celotex boarding was so badly damaged my roof was in danger of falling down... needless to say he wont be going any further and finally no3 today he had a good look in attic and said yes the boarding was ageing and had some past water damage but it was all cosmetic really and my roof was not leaking and still water tight and felt there was no work required especially if i plan on replacing it in the next 24 months or so (which i do).. so really happy wi the outcome no repairs needed and i think ive found a food roofer who i can trust for future

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back