Advice needed regarding fitting a water pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a flat, the hot water runs on economy 7,as there is no gas supply, there is a tank in the airing cupboard that has a kind of built in water tank above it that feeds the hot water tank. The hot water taps in the bathroom are fine, but it is very slow in the kitchen, I wanted to fit a water pump purely for the hot water from the tank. I have found a pump that is recommended purely for this purpose, it has a single input and output for the hot water from the storage tank. My only concern is, the fittings that come with the water pump are 15mm connections, but the pipe from the tank is 22mm, I don't know where it changes from 22mm to 15mm which feeds the kitchen.
I want to know, can I simply come out of the tank with 22mm, reduce to 15mm to go into the pump and then convert back to 22mm to feed the hot water?

Sponsored Links
You can reduce the pipework from the combination cylinder you have, to fit the single impellor pump you are thinking of buying. The reason the pressure isn't as good in the kitchen, is purely because the tap outlet is higher in your kitchen, which means less head of pressure at your hot tap. As a cheaper alternative, why not see if you could purchase some low pressure sink taps, which would help a little bit, or see if you can raise up your combination cylinder which can increase the pressure a little ? :)

Just a point on the economy seven units the hot water can be verry hot and some pumps have a max temp of 65 degrees c check with the manufacturer before you purchase.secondly no problems reducing the pipework size as the original pipework was designed for gravity when you pump the water volume would still be higher.

Thanks for the prompt replies.
As for the kitchen tap, it is a new one, picked by the missus, so not much chance of me changing it now. :)
I live in a block of flats so there is no chance of me getting the hot water cylinder any higher than it already is.
I shall certainly look in to the temperatures that any pump I find can handle.
On that point, I've been looking around at various pumps, especially the Salamander range. As I do not have a shower and I am just looking to improve the pressure on the gravity fed hot water system, could I use a pump designed for a shower, or does it have to be a whole house type pump?
I am getting quite confused about which pump to buy. I don't want to pay the earth, but I do want something that will work.
Any advice on what pump I would need would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You`d better address the noise/vibration issues of a pump :idea: Unless you want to :evil: your neighbours in the other flats

I can't see this being a major issue, nige, unless the pump will be running 24/7 :)

Thanks for the replies, I have been doing some "googling" and further research, but still need some advice.
I have since found out that my Hot Water system supplied from a "Fortic Cylinder", therefore I cannot put a pump directly onto the hot water output of the tank as the cold water storage tank above it is not large enough (needs to be a minimum of 50 Gallons).

My next question is this...........
the hot water that supplies the bathroom, ie: basin and bath (I have no shower) both run ok, it is simply the kitchen tap that suffers from low pressure. Do you think that a pump installed under the kitchen sink purely for hot water would be ok. I mean it would only ever be used for filling the kitchen sink, and never used to fill a bath. I would have thought that the capacity of the kitchen sink would never empty the cold water storage tank? would it ???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back