Advice on Air Nailers/compressors

ena

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need some advice on airnailers. Have been looking at Ferm 30mm standard nailer,Wolfair 6LTR 1.5HP compressor (screwfix) and I think the B&Q brand is Rockport. Nailers And compressors.I need 20mm to 40mm brads used for workshop projects,dont need a stapler, have about £150 to spend. Some advice off those that know,and those that have one, would be welcome.

Sponsored Links
i bought one from homebase, small 6 litre compressor and nail gun included for £50 a couple of yeras ago. I bought it on the premise if its crap ill take it back. I have to say its bloody superb. used it for spraying, various workshop projects etc. In retrospect i would go for a bigger compressor though.

The Bostich nail guns, I would think are top of the range,a bit like dewalt etc, and as such are a bit out of my price range. The Home Base ,a bit below. I won't use it a great deal,but the cheap Electric Rapesco I bought. won't drive the 18g nails right in and I end up having to follow on with a nail punch.Any thoughts on a mid price range that can drive the nails home without the need of the nail punch. Again I mention the B&Q Pro range,about £70,but would I end up with another piece of rubbish that ends up resold on ebay. Again as a novice I am assuming that a compressor and nail gun is better than the electric nail guns.
Thanks for the responses up to now,but more advice needed.

Sponsored Links
all compressors will do the same job, ie compress and supply the air. With even the cheapest you can set the pressure that it is delivered to the gun. I would go for an air nailer for the workshop over an electric every time.

Sorry I didn't realise the £150 included the compressor. The psi is what you look at to power your nailgun and most compressors would do this job I think. However if you want to do stuff like spraying you need to look at the cfm (cubic feet per minute) and make sure you look at the 'free air delivered' figure as this is the one that counts. A spraygun will need a certain cfm and many compressors are not upto running a decent spraygun with a tip wide enough for thick paint.

I would think good places to look would be axminster power tools and machine mart, they both have websites. If you can, get a nailer that will take a wide range of brad lengths.

Thanks for the suggestion Petewood, found an old machine mart catalogue
and there is a good selection of compressors,and nailers. only 1/2 hr drive to nearest store so a visit should see me fixed up . Thanks again to you and thermo.

A word of warning regarding these very small cheap compressors.

I tried one briefly from B&Q. If you read the instructions the running time is only something like 15 mins then you have to let it rest for a hour!

Furthermore, some nail guns (Yes even the ones supplied with some of them) need more punch then the compressor is designed to give.
Also the design of one or two of them, have a brass connection on the front, that the slightest knock will break off. Tread carefully. MIne lasted 20 mins...
Woody

Nothing seems simple, I might just stay in the old days and use my hammer and punch.

ena, it is fairly simple really. From the sound of it you want it for home workshop use. Certainly the products youve looked at will do the job more than adequatly. Pop into a tool shop and have a look around and ask one of the guys in there. most know their stuff

Thermo, I am going to machine mart this weekend and as you say they will guide me in the right direction. Thanks for your intrest.

Just to say I bought a small compressor 6cfm (Wolf) plus Ferm pin nailer and stapler from Screwfix 18 mnths ago and all have worked beautifully and consistantly since. Just light work you understand but on a weekly basis. The whole lot cost about £100

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back