Advice on bottled lpg please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Interested in bottled lpg for our new house which is currently gutted. No mains gas. The wife and I would both like to cook with gas.

I was hoping to position the bottles on the outside of the rear of the garage, with the intention that a pipe through the wall would run approx 4m through the inside of the garage, then 90^o through that wall to the back of the cooker.

The bottles would sit immediately behind the garage at the corner of where the house continues out into the rear garden. There are no windows here, the closest being on the pitched roof (it's a bungalow) there's a velux window.
Bottles approx 2m from the boundary fence.

Any regs I can cross reference these plans to? Can anyone offer advice or see any problems with what I propose?

Thanks people,

Deano

Sponsored Links
Any ground level open drains near where you want to site the bottles ?

Any ground level open drains near where you want to site the bottles ?
only a downoipe and drain approx 5m away.

Should also mention on the same rear wall possibly there will be an ASHP (if I can't have the GSHP) and maybe A/C units mounted on a wall around 2/3m away.

Thanks for looking

you have to bear in mind that LPG is heavier than air so if you were to have a leak then you have to consider could it cause a danger , your gas supplier will usually advise you free of charge before you sign up

Sponsored Links
Your installation sounds fine (looking at two very recent installations near me), but as Ian says, the provider will advise you.
At the same time, ask about a two bottle change over valve - and go for 47kg bottles ideally - the size of the bottle determines the height of the changeover.
John :)

Your installation sounds fine (looking at two very recent installations near me), but as Ian says, the provider will advise you.
At the same time, ask about a two bottle change over valve - and go for 47kg bottles ideally - the size of the bottle determines the height of the changeover.
John :)

Thanks guys,

Just a thought - if I have an ASHP set up then I might need a back up for winter months, maybe I could have an LPG combi.....:rolleyes:

Thanks guys,

Just a thought - if I have an ASHP set up then I might need a back up for winter months, maybe I could have an LPG combi.....:rolleyes:

A combi would not be compatible with the hot water set up.
It would be fookin expensive to run on bottled gas!!

Could a combi not supply a coil in the cylinder (thus providing a back up in a power cut)- or would money be better spent just popping the immersion on for 30mins to top up what the heat pump struggles with in cold months?

Although I'm having a woodburner too, so I'll stick with that.

Thanks again!

Eh??? Don't be daft, of course a LPG combi could be linked to a cylinder. It would be crazy expensive as you say.

The smart money would fit a multifuel stove to supplement the HW & CH in the very cold months.

Could a combi not supply a coil in the cylinder (thus providing a back up in a power cut)- or would money be better spent just popping the immersion on for 30mins to top up what the heat pump struggles with in cold months?

Although I'm having a woodburner too, so I'll stick with that.

Thanks again!

Change it for a multifuel stove & it'll burn all your household rubbish, old pallets.........anything!!!

If you're in an area is prone to power cuts, ensure your multifuel stove is fitted on a gravity system.

Gas boilers require electricity to operate, so no use in a power cut unless you have a generator or battery & inverter.

Silly me - even if the boiler could be ignited by an igniter - I'd have nothing to pump the water ... oops.

Eh??? Don't be daft, of course a LPG combi could be linked to a cylinder. It would be crazy expensive as you say.

The smart money would fit a multifuel stove to supplement the HW & CH in the very cold months.

Puller how would I pump the system in a black out? TIA fella

Change it for a multifuel stove & it'll burn all your household rubbish, old pallets.........anything!!!

If you're in an area is prone to power cuts, ensure your multifuel stove is fitted on a gravity system.

Doh just ignore my last comment above -teach me not to read all the replies first!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back