Advice on cost of repointing wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had two very different quotes for the repointing of my chimney and external gable wall which is 96 square metres. Builder A says he will repoint the whole wall and chimney for £1200, the price of scaffolding inclusive. Builder B says he will do the chimney and whole wall for £2400, or at a rate of £20 per m2, including scaffolding and sealing the wall. Builder B is quoting £600 for the scaffolding per week, regardless of the time he won't actually be using it (below 5 metres). I have been told by two other reliable but unavailable builders that much of the wall definitely does not need repointing-only parts (one third at most). I would like advice on a) whether these quotes (especially Builder B's) seem reasonable b) whether the price quoted for scaffolding seems reasonable c) whether it is usual for scaffolding to be hired per week, even though it may not be needed for part of the work during that time d) whether it is typical for builders to prefer to redo the whole wall in order to make the job more lucrative for themselves. Any advice much appreciated as I'm new to this tradesmen game. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I was quoted £19 m2 for pointing as part of a extension. Quote A is therefore very competitive, but Quote B would still be in the right ball-park.
Obviously beware of just using the cheapest, see if you can have a chat with some clients (obviously a builder will never point you to one of their bad references, but a least you can see their work for yourself)

Thanks for the reply, jono. Both builders have good references. It's the cost of the scaffolding that seems most unreasonable??

regarding C) the scaffhold is on your property, its not sitting in the yard of the people who own it, there fore it has to be paid for.

Would you expect the scaffhold company to charge you more if you were on it 24/7 ?

they charge by the what ever, no matter if some one is on it or not

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
regarding C) the scaffhold is on your property, its not sitting in the yard of the people who own it, there fore it has to be paid for.

Would you expect the scaffhold company to charge you more if you were on it 24/7 ?

they charge by the what ever, no matter if some one is on it or not

Can I presume from this that £600 per week is a reasonable rate? Does it have to be hired on a weekly, not daily, basis?

Sorry if my question was vague!

no idea on cost of scafhold hire, but I would have thought daily hire would be not profitable for scafhold co.

You would be paying for the erection and dismantling of the scaffold .It reads like you're builder is getting a proper scaffolding firm in to do it .
so you are paying for the scaffolders plus the builder for organising it.
There is a safety aspect to this job ,in so much as you're can not do this work on any thing else but a scaffold ,plus he must have very long arms if he can repoint a wall at the height of 5metres.
A easy way to find out about the price of scaffolding is to phone up a scaffolding company and ask for a quote :)

scaffolding is mostly priced for erect+dismantle and a time limit of 1 month .......longer duration is usually @ extra£...........most builders don`t do their own now due to H+S legislation .....and a bloody good thing too.........as subbies to small builders in the bad old 70`s you were expected to spar about on lash ups :evil:

Scaffolding seems expensive to me... I had some done by a small local scaffolder (direct), he said the cost was mostly for the erection and dismantlung, he wasn't concerned about the time it was up.

And it was a lot less than £600 all together (three stories, but only 16 ft wide).

Maybe ring a few local scaffolders?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back