Advice on flooring over my uneven floorbaords

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am a about to put some new flooring down. I currently have uneven floorbaords.

1. If I am to put laminate, will a laminate underlay be sufficient to negate the bad effects of the uneven floorbaords?

2. If I use vynil, I take it I must use 6mm plywood underneath the vynil? Also do I have to glue it down to the plywood?

3. I have heared about removable vynil tiles but cannot find any resources on them, can someone point me to them. Do these need plywood underneath and can you just pick them up like click laminates?

Sponsored Links
If you *Carefully* screw down any loose floorboards beware of pipes and cables.

Then screw down a good 9mm / 12mm ply at 300mm centres-no need for glue. You should be okay to do what you want with it then.

Just make sure the screws you use to fix the ply down are no longer than the ply and the floorboards else you could hit a pipe or cable.

Hi

I am a about to put some new flooring down. I currently have uneven floorbaords.

1. If I am to put laminate, will a laminate underlay be sufficient to negate the bad effects of the uneven floorbaords?

2. If I use vynil, I take it I must use 6mm plywood underneath the vynil? Also do I have to glue it down to the plywood?

3. I have heared about removable vynil tiles but cannot find any resources on them, can someone point me to them. Do these need plywood underneath and can you just pick them up like click laminates?

1- If you get a good laminate underlay you should be ok over the floorboards. But screw down any loose ones. You can plane them if any high spots.
2- If putting vinyl down and glueing it you will need to fix the ply every 6" in the centre and every 4" on the perimeter. Depends on what vinyl if you need to glue it all down.
3- click vinyl planks are quite new to uk but alot of flooring places are doin them now. Polyflor do a decent one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back