Advice on front of house light?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Would love some advice on an outdoor light.
We are getting our place rewired and thought maybe a good chance to get an outdoor light fitted at the front door.

But what are peoples recommendations? The electrician said he would recommend one that you just turn on inside the house so it's not gong on and off all the time ie a sensor one. But there would be no use for us one like that. So I said just get a sensor one that only picks up the front area of the door, not that goes off when a car goes past as we have a small front garden. Is it possible to get a sensor light that only goes off when you are a couple if feet from the front door? And won't go off when cars go past?
Any recommendations of a good light? Any links?
What circuits would the outdoor lights be best to connect too?
Any things to avoid? Or look for?
I said IP66 but he said you don't need a IP66 an IP65 is good enough for outdoor lights?
Any advice appreciated

Sponsored Links
IP66? Are you going to be jet washing it? The position of the sensor will determine when the light comes on but unless you hide it sideways in a porch it will sense passing traffic. You can get cheap security lights from amazon that can be adjusted between sensor on and off when they are fitted, with mine the sensor is permanently on but switched from inside, so only used when needed. Most people soon get fed up with the light coming on and off, so consider your electricians advice, it is baed on experience.

If the sensor and the light are separate items then the sensor can be located where it is not triggered by passing traffic and the lamp can be located where the light is needed.

Sensor ones are a pain. I'm done with them.
If you do want one pay for a good one however. Expect problems with weather triggering.
I've gone back to a switched light.
Consider a WiFi controlled light on a smart home setup that can be controlled with timed activation.

Pir lights only work well for security and with lights using hardly any electric why not just leave on with timed WiFi switch or hard switch?

Electrician is correct imo. I Think they get complaints about pir playing up and warranty call backs.

Sponsored Links
Just get the spark to run 3core and earth out to the porch light from the switch then you have flexibility to do what you want later

Just get the spark to run 3core and earth out to the porch light from the switch then you have flexibility to do what you want later
Thanks so you mean to put everything in place for an out door light if I want one later but not to actually put a light in?

Can you get lights which I can switch between sensor and turned on until I turn off?

Thanks so you mean to put everything in place for an out door light if I want one later but not to actually put a light in?

Can you get lights which I can switch between sensor and turned on until I turn off?

Using 3c and earth means you could have and on/off/on switch in the hall AND with an appropriate light or PIR have the ability to to have the light on, off or on PIR sensor

Beware lots of lights with PIR built in don’t allow you to do this.

Putting the cable in now just gives you options

Thanks.

So it might be hard to find a outdoor light with a PIR sensor, ability to turn light on and off on a permanent setting, and off altogether?

pir overide.jpg

Steinel make very good PIR sensors, they are not the cheapest but in the long term they are good value. I fitted a IS 180-2 at a friends house about 25 years ago and it is still working perfectly.

Thanks all.
Our electrician said he couldn't find any IP66 or IP67 outdoor lights. Not sure if he was looking for a specific type that's why.
He was looking for one that you can adjust the angle of the sensor if we found that it would go off when passing cars went off etc.

He said IP65 would be fine also.

I have had a sensor I bought from Lidl outside my house working faultlessly for years and I have wired it as bernard suggested such that an indoor switch can be used to override the sensor and bring the light (4 of them) on continously

I bought a Lyco up / down light with PIR recently and seems OK and has adjustment for range / sensitivity. It is adjusted such that it only comes on as we approach and are about 2m from it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back