Advice on GU10

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought some great fire rated GU10 downlights, but they only take the longer type of GU10 lamp. I don't want the low energy 7w Edison or 11w Megaman lamps as they need to be dimmable and I personally hate lamps which take 2 mins to reach full brightness, no what the saving!

Are GU10's available in halogen for this longer style fitting?

Sponsored Links
Although you can dim quartz lighting it's not recommended as the whole idea of the quartz is to get the envelope so hot the tungsten will not deposit on it and will instead return to the element. Running them cold will shorten their life so if dimming is wanted then GU10 lamps are not the units that should be used.

I bought some great fire rated GU10 downlights,
No such thing.

but they only take the longer type of GU10 lamp.
I thought that all halogen GU10s were all either standard MR16, or (rarely) MR11 envelopes?

What are the longer type?

I don't want the low energy 7w Edison or 11w Megaman lamps as they need to be dimmable
Get dimmable ones then. Luminaires which have HF dimmable ballasts would be a good start.

and I personally hate lamps which take 2 mins to reach full brightness, no what the saving!
Don't buy ones which take that long then - simples. (Hint - proper fluorescent lighting doesn't take 2 minutes to reach full brightness).

Seems to me that you've made some fundamentally wrong choices of technology and are now complaining that you don't like what you've ended up with.

Err - hang on - are you saying that these luminaires were not designed to use halogen lamps?

If so, using them will be a Bad Idea.

I bought some great fire rated GU10 downlights, but they only take the longer type of GU10 lamp. I don't want the low energy 7w Edison or 11w Megaman lamps as they need to be dimmable and I personally hate lamps which take 2 mins to reach full brightness, no what the saving!

What ARE you blithering on about? Do talk sense! Put up a picture if you cant articulate yourself better than this.

Sponsored Links
Megaman certainly do two different designs of GU10 replacement lamps. As I recently found out as I war re-equipping my kitchen lights. Never seen any different halogen designs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back