Advice on how to paint a large ceiling.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

My living room ceiling is around 24 sqaure metres big. I am painting it, but I am noticing you can see clear overlap marks on each new run.

Does anyone have any tips on how to attain a nice, flat and even finish?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
hi sharpey,
it depends if are you going over new plaster or is it already painted,and what type of paint your using matt, silk,eggshell etc.but in general you want to give it at least 2 coats thin it down say about 20 to 30%cut your edges in first(corners light fittings, ceiling /wall edge)roll a section at a time(width to width)and gently lay it off keep to little sections always roll in the same direction,work to a decent pace to keep a wet edge and let the roller do the work

Hi Nochancers.

Thanks for the reply.

Initially it was new plaster but isn't anymore, it has had a few coats now.

I am using standard white matt paint, Wickes Trade I think.

I was going width to width and doing a square metre at a time but by the time I got to the second run it had already dried a little, not completely but enough so the two joins wouldn't merge properly and hence the lap marks.

I am doing it as fast as I can any faster will mean it will be a rubbish job anyway.

The only thing I can think of is having a few people painting at the same time but this isn't an option for me unfortunately.

I was thinking there might be an additive or sometihng that makes the paint stay wet for longer or something.

Sponsored Links
I am!

Gow about something like Floetrol....does anyone have any experience with this....perhaps this will help keep a wet edge?

i have never heard of it mate ,its not like the addative that you put in to make a perfume smell in the paint ? have you painted any more ceilings in the house and if so have you had the same problem ?it maybe what we call a "hot ceiling"in which case it dries pretty rapid, it all depends on how far you want to go .a coat of oil based sealer oreggshell in white and then 2 coats of emulsion on top but you must be very thorough with the oil based but thats gonna smell a bit then you canput the addative in that makes it smell of flowers to kill the smell .and i am pretty sure that that would do the trick ,one last thing what kind of roller sleeve do you have anything less than a medium pile could be the answer to your problem

I've not had the problem with any other ceilings but they are much smaller. This is just one very large surface area that isn't broken up in any way.

The additive is supposed to help reduce brush/roller marks by making the paint more workable and increasing the drying time, helping keep the edge wet longer.

I've found limited views on it and it is quite expensive but I'm going to try it as the reviews I have found on it have all been positive.

For what it's worth, I trust you have a good quality 12" cage roller with long/extendable arm?

If you are getting edges/overlaps your paint is too thick. Thin it down and roller it right out so there are no edges. Keep doing it until it is uniform. That's how pro's do it.

Agree with joe - and I personally keep the wet edges random - not like mowing a lawn . :idea: works for me

For what it's worth, I trust you have a good quality 12" cage roller with long/extendable arm?

Think it's a regular 9". Don't need a pole as I'm quite tall and the ceiling is low.

If you are getting edges/overlaps your paint is too thick. Thin it down and roller it right out so there are no edges. Keep doing it until it is uniform. That's how pro's do it.

Yeah I am hoping the Floetrol will thin it properly as opposed to just adding water.

When you say to 'roller it out until it is uniform', what do you mean?Keep rolling until there is no paint left on the roller? Excuse my ignorance, how will this help?

just a diy painter myself but through my own experience I just roller a section and really spread the paint out to give an even thin coat and sort of feather/overlap with the next roller of paint. works really well, doesn't waste paint and when the 2nd coat is on looks great.

i learnt the hard way what happens when its on too thick and you stop halfway through a wall for your tea. :oops:

also, the best thing i ever bought for decorating was an extendable arm, even when using it on walls. give you a nice firm grip and if the wall is really big, you can do it all in one go without getting a sore wrist.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back