Advice on Meters Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need help with the above meters please. I see some form of timer meter which I guess is something to do with economy7. Two black and red feeds (looking about 10mm I think) feed the fuseboxm they seem to come out of the back of one of the meters.
How best to resolve this? Can I simply call the DNO to upgrade the meters (is that FOC ?) and then put a new CU in?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Why do you think the meters need changing?

Replacing the CU is notifiable work, and the testing is beyond most DIYers (even if you've read the books, the instruments are very expensive) who would not have acceptable qualifications

Hi there,

What are you trying to resolve? Do you have E7? Do you want smaller meters, or do you just want the off-peak meter removed? Do you want someone to change your CU for you?

I'm looking to install a new CU. The feeds are 10 mm so need updating, but if they come from the meter then can I upgrade them ?
Really I'd like to get the old E7 meter (if that's what it is) removed, and get the tails upgraded to 16mm and install a new CU.
Should I get the redundant meter removed?

Sponsored Links
Yes, if you don't have E7, then you can asked for it to be removed.

When they remove the meter(s), they may provide you with a new digital meter which is smaller.

Ask them to fit an isolator switch for you when they do it. This will enable you to safely and legally connect new tails (and your new CU) to the load side of the isolator without tampering with the meter.

Ditto what JD said.

You mean you want to change the CU yourself? You might like to read up on Part P of the Building Regulations (see //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics

You have not said if you have got, or want, an Economy 7 supply. You can move to a single-rate tariff without having the meters changed, and so the supplier will have no incentive to change the meters. What is the reasoin you want it changed?

Tails from meter to CU are occupier's.

Sorry JohnD

I want to have a new CU installed, to 17th edition regs. I've assumed I'll need the tails to be 16mm.

The new CU will be installed by a NIC reg'd electrician, I just want to understand fully first. Do the small tails come from the back of the LH meter?

Thanks.

the thing on the left is a two-tariff meter. The thing on the right is not a meter, but a timeswitch. The tails go into connectors behind the plastic panel at the bottom of the meter, which is sealed shut.

It is possible that tails for a CU supplying storage heaters are connected to the timeswitch (this is quite an old-fashioned arrangement) if they do not go into the meter.

You have not said if you have got, or want, an Economy 7 (or similar)supply.

Having a twin-tariff meter does not mean you have to be on E7, it can be used for single-rate tariff as well, they just add the usage from the two readings together.

I agree with sparkyspike that a 100A DP Isolator is a useful thing to have. I've got one, so has my old mum. Funny, that.

If you are paying for any changes around the meter, ask if they can provide you with PME (a type of Earthing) at the same time. It might cost you £50 to £100 but will be money well spent if you currently have a poor earth. You will have to provide a 16mm G&Y cable for them to connect it to, and I suggest an 8-way earth block as well which will only cost you a couple of pounds.

Many thanks for that. Don't want E7 and I'll get the isolator installed, and also the earth block.
EFLI tests are OK, so I'll pass on the PME for the time being.

Thanks for your help

If you have a 100A supply, you'll need to use 25mm tails with 16mm main earth cable.

Thanks sparky.

Matty, if bidi stands for bloody idiot domestic installer you'll find that the idiot ones are the ones that don't ask the questions, rather than the ones that do.

Wonder how many electricians die of smugness?

All you guys that help me without such comments - many thanks, very much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back