Advice on new boiler change

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,I need some advise on a heating and hot water system for my house.I would like to improve the water pressure to the showers and have a cheaper to run system.It is 4 bed house with 1 family bathroom,1 en suite and 1 cloakroom.Two adults and two children live there.The water pressure is about 3 bar when measured at the outside tap.We plan to live here for the next 7 years.The current boiler is an Ideal mexico 2.I do not want a shower pump as I think it will be too noisy.This is my first post and I have read the sticky but didn't help much.Thanks in advance Pete.

Sponsored Links
Is that 3 bar static pressure or 3 bar working pressure? As you have a largeish house with four occupants I would say an unvented hot water cylinder such as an OSO Super S would be your best option (these are sometimes known as megaflo cylinders, but the generic term is unvented hot water cylinders (UVHWC), megaflo is a brand name that's become common-use, just as hoover has become the term for vacuum cleaner).

However, before going for this option you need to get your working pressure and flow rate tested. Ideally you need a 22mm incoming main, 15mm isn't really adequate in most cases. The UVHWC can be heated using your present boiler, presumably you already have a hot water cylinder and in most cases you can site the UVHWC where the current cylinder is, although you can of course move it if you wish

Hi,thanks for you reply.The pressure tester was fitted to the outside tap and the tap turned on,this read 3.5 bar (not sure if this is static ?).The water supply looks to be in black plastic pipe of about 25mm external diameter.As the boiler is so old and G rated i thought this would need to go to improve efficiency.Thanks for the advice on the unvented tank,Pete

You need to test your working pressure really - reconnect the tester to the outside tap then run the kitchen tap and see what it reads then. The reason for this is that it's possible to have a high static pressure but a very low working pressure, if your WP is low then there are ways around it but it would increase the cost a bit.

You could change your boiler to improve it's efficiency but if it's proving reliable it's best to keep it, it'll take a long while for a new one to pay for itself.

Sponsored Links
It all depends on what your priorities are.
Performance
Reliabillity/longevity
Price

You could use an accumulater if you've got the room?it would have to be same size as the unvented cylinder though if you needed to use differant outlets at the same time

One step at a time Rosie, let's not jump the gun and confuse the OP!!

Thanks for the reply's,the working pressure when tested as asked is 2.7 bar.
In answer to Bengasman my priorities are as listed:
1.Performance
2.Reliabillity/longevity
3. cost to run
4. price to change

Thanks Pete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back