advice on new heating sytem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

After having a ducted heating sytem, and no real complaints. We have recently replaced this with a new baxi duo tech system, and i have to say im very well impressed with the new system. Having been used to the instant heat of the ducted system i had concerns about how long the new system would take to come up to temperature. This has not been a problem, with the rads coming up to temp within a few minutes. The one thing i did want advice on was the best way to run the new system, i.e should it be set to come on/go off throughout the day, or is it more economical to have it on 24/7?
Any other advice would be great too
cheers

Sponsored Links
Time it to be on when you are there as thats more economical.

I always point out the negatives about warm air heating ( WAU ). I took my gas assessment on it last week.

Could you post a full explanation of what you disliked about the WAU that convinced you of the need to fit a much more expensive wet system?

Tony

It all depends on you lifestyle and how much the house is occupied. There is no sense heating an unoccupied house for 8 - 10 hours. You do not save fuel by keeping the heating on 24/7.

Presumably you have a programmer which allows you to set several time periods, possibly with seven individual day settings or weekday/weekends. This will allow you to customise the heating to your exact requirements. If it is a programmable thermostat, with five or six time periods, the sixth period is the overnight one. This should normally be set to 5 degrees, so the heating does not come on overnight.

If your house is well insulated, the temperature drop when the heating is off may only be a couple of degrees overnight; though it obviously depends on how long the heating is off.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the reply guys. I had been leaving it on 24/7 as i thought it would be more cost effective du eto the fact that its already at an ambiant temperature.
i didnt say i had any real problems with the ducted system Agile, i just thought it was time to upgrade to a more modern and hopefully cost effective one. Seen as you asked though, the negatives of the ducted system were- instant heat so this meant instant lack of it too, once switched off. it was noisy in comparison to the combi/condensing unit we now have. I also found you got localised heating extreams due to the way in which the air was vented. Parts are more dificult to come by, and expensive to replace. The most frightening thing though was when the engineer was removing the old system to replace it, he told me that (his words) you have no idea how lucky you and your family have been. The flu was dtatched just above the main unit as it entered the loft. Even though the system had been serviced every year this had never been picked up!!

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back