New CH sytem being installed Advice please!

Must have been when I was taking a break from the forum because I always flush new systems with X300 or F3.

Sponsored Links
Double panel Radiators - are they all same quality as he will buy them. Do I insist that he buys from the likes of Wicks and B&Q, to maintain quality as he might source them God knows where?

Not really much point dictating the source of the rads, better to specify by quality brands if you're worried - although I think you are worrying unnecessarily. Myson and Stelrad make good rads, but your plumber will be repricing the job. Upwards!

The really important part is to ensure that the system is properly flushed out, not power flushed, after installation. Then a corrosion inhibitor is added to the system. You need to maintain the correct concentration of this inhibitor in the system in future. This is the best way to ensure long life of rads, etc.

At least you won't have any worries with your choice of boiler.

Thanks for the reply. :)

We're installing a new heating system with a combi boiler and new 22mm pipings and replacing all old rads, does the system still need to be flushed? This corrosion inhibitor, is that essential? I asked him about fitting a filter, he replied that these are extra and not usually essential :eek:

Yes, system needs flushing as the flux used in soldering is corrosive. Also good idea to remove any swarf or other debris that is present even in new components. Corrosion inhibitor is essential, other wise the air and water in your system will start internal corrosion, especially rads, from day one without it. Perhaps filter not quite so essential on new system, but won't hurt if you can stretch to one.

Sponsored Links
Then it goes on to say:-

""Removes sludge, limescale and other debris to restore heating efficiency of existing systems""

You o0nly get those in old systems.

Of course they are at the usual sales ploy of pretending that it does everything!

At least Sentinel make three products each with its own specific objective!

Tony

So fernox are telling porkies about the uses of their products now.

Cold flush then a hot flush, no need for chemicals on a new installation, just a gimmick to sell product, ensure that the system is designed well at that de-aeration is adequate, no air, no corrosion its that simple

Cold flush then a hot flush, no need for chemicals on a new installation, just a gimmick to sell product, ensure that the system is designed well at that de-aeration is adequate, no air, no corrosion its that simple

Silverback, are you saying no need to add inhibitor, just flush the system?

No he only means that its not necessary to use X300 on a new system! Just like all the other installers said.

As he was Installer of the Year in 200X then you have to at least note what he says.

However, the British Standards say that a cleanser should be used! So I use a cleanser and nothing better in my opinion than X300.

Tony

Silverback, are you saying no need to add inhibitor, just flush the system?

yes, just flush and de-aerate, air is what causes corrosion get rid of the air = No Corrosion

No he only means that its not necessary to use X300 on a new system! Just like all the other installers said.

As he was Installer of the Year in 200X then you have to at least note what he says.

However, the British Standards say that a cleanser should be used! So I use a cleanser and nothing better in my opinion than X300.

Tony

Standards will say whoever are the majority sitting on the BSI at the time, unfortunately chemical companies are filling these spaces, so everything is biased to them, things will change, there are better ways without chemicals to protect heating systems, quality of the initial fill water been the most important

E 'nder: Don't you have a quote specifying products and work to be done?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back