Advice on new Render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am currently looking at getting my house, a 3 bed semi-detached house rendered. The house was built in the 1930's and is brick up to the bay window and then pebble dashed up to the roof. I'm currently looking at getting "Wetherby" render or K-rend, from what I've seen they have a similar finish but a lot cheaper than the webber render. The house has been redashed, so there is currently two coats of render, which is going past the brick work. I've just had one guy have a look, and he suggested just removing the last coat of pebble-dash and then scratching the first coat? Is this the correct way to do this, shouldn't he take it right back to the bare brick? is this an ideal way of rendering or is this a quicker and easier way for him to get the job done ?

any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The guy called me back today with the quote. He quoted £4650 to do the job. I roughly worked out that its around 55 sq meter, and the price is for taken off the top layer of render and not going right down to the brick and for also removing the bellcasts. I know this is the first quote but this is way expensive?? for the work required. I have read some other posts regarding the rough cost per sq meter ( around £30 per sq meter i think) this guy has surely got his sums wrong or just trying his luck.

Our house is very similar to yours. A builder gave us a quote last week for removing the pebble dash, rendering in 2 coat work with water proof backing coat. The final coat is 3 coats of teroline.
We have a garage and kitchen extension to one side of the house. The quote is 3.5k including scaffold and the replacing of lead flashings to tiles. We have had a look at some rendering jobs he has done and were quite impressed but will still get two more quotes.

Thanks for posting Elisa123.

I'll get a few more quotes in and then see what the difference in price is. Shouldn't they be going back to the bare brick though? that's what is also given me doubt's about them. I know its a pain to remove all the old render, and I would remove it myself but I've just had an operation, which is limiting what I can do at present.

Sponsored Links
if the first coat is sound it does not need removing it just needs a coat of rendaid as for cost i can get weber for 7.87 a bag this will do roughly a square metre

nice one spongebob! i've tried plastering but I think i'll leave it to the experts.

Still waiting on a few more quotes, so as soon as I get them all in, I'll let you know how I got on. A mate of mine was quoted £3 grand for a 4 bed semi, which is a lot larger than my property. So this is why i questioned the price the last guy quoted.

I think you will need to be looking at £50 a meter without scafolding , the £30 a metre you talk of would be on new work witch yours isnt ,you need a scratch coat that would be extra and you will need the existing choping off , with a mono render you will get what you pay for in terms of quality so a cheap quote would be worth checking for referances ,Where are you in the country ?

i'm in the Northwest,in Liverpool. The first quote I received, did include scaffolding, but only taking off the top layer of pebble-dash. I also need the window bay walls putting back to a rendered finish, as I had it tiled a few years ago, by cowboys! Looked fine from outside, but they somehow removed all the insulation in the bay. The price I received also included this work.
As the house was built in the 1930's, would you say then that all the pebble-dash needs removing and go back down to the brick?

Basic rule is if its loose then it needs to come off but some times it can be so hard that if you can get it off your doing damage to the brick work in the proces

Thanks for the advice spongbob1, it gives me a bit to think about. Which mono render is the best one to one to go with in your opinion? i've heard weber is a good mono render? but can be expensive.

K rend wp would be my choice but everyone has there favorite to use so go with the one your plasterer suggests as he will make a better job with the one he normally uses , there should only be a few pence per bag differant between manufacturers

once again spongebob1, thanks for all your advice! it's going to come in real handy, when I start seeing the random prices there going to give me!

Get the Decopierre men in, there are some Approved applicators in most areas now. Can go over pebbledash and old render and have plain, brick or stone finish without the added work of regular painting. 100's of colours as well as white. Found them on youtube myself they did a conservatory wall for us recently.

finally found a render quoting a decent price. this came in at £3,200 Everything was going well until the last few days. I chose to go with the "Wetherby" mono render and have been really impressed by how it all looks. One slight problem, the guy reckons the ladder slipped by a gust of wind and made a bit of a mess of the render on the bay, he has had to re-apply the render over it. It's two fairly big patches and he reckons its now had around 3 coats over it to blend it back in to the rest of the render. The problem is, that were he has touched it up, it sticks out like a sore thumb! it will be 4 days come this Friday and the it just looks like a big grease mark which doesn't appear to have dried out. My question is, are you suppose to go over the top coat, with more render without letting it dry out first , i thought you plastered it on, left for 24hrs and then rubbed it down with the spiked float?
He reckons he has been in touch with the supplier and they reckon the colour will dry out and blend in. Were my house its positioned at the top of a road and does get battered by the winds. Surely this should have dried out by now?

He said if it doesn't look any better by next week he will come back and re do the render where the damage was done.

So I'm in a bit of dilemma, the guy is not local and i don't know where he lives, so i don't know if I will see him again once I pay in full. I was thinking of holding back on £500 until the job is put right. Any advice would be much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back