Advice on possibly damaging freezer by transporting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I've sold someone a freezer that I didn't want. I sold it on a car boot stall for £60 (It was graded so marked on the sides). When I sold it I offered to deliver it for £10 but they declined. When I was talking to them I told them that if I was going to deliver it that I'd keep it upright and that they should leave it for at least three hours for the gases to settle. With them taking it themselves in there car (therefore lying it down) I said that they should leave it at least until the evening but better the next day. They then phoned me the day after saying that it wasn't working. I asked them how long they left it to settle, they said an hour.

I don't feel responsible for this but I don't the consequences of what not leaving it to stand for are?

So what are the consequences?

Are there any official guidelines on how long to leave it?

Any advice/information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Vertical

Sponsored Links
The reason you leave it after its been on its back are that the oil drains out of the compressor depending how you load it, so if you know what you are doing you are fine. 24 hours upright is always a best bet, but i have started them instantly before now.

Find out if the compressor starts or any noise can be heard from it.

chances are one of them pulled a wire off the pot at the back or elsewhere when man handling it.

But before they check anything get them to check the socket is on and working!!!!! sounds silly but you would be surprised.

Rob

They say that the electric side is fine and that they can hear the compressor. They told me this after I asked them to check the fuse wondering if they could have blown it by not letting it settle. I'll get them to check for wires missing of the pot though.

Anything else I should look for/expect?

Thanks

Vertical

Sponsored Links
Pots running = Yes

Condenser is getting hot?

Evaporator is cooling?

All pipes are in good condition?

How long is the pot running for? i.e. is it cutting out after a few mins

My bet is they bent the access pipe for sticking the gages on to test for gas/compression and have blown off the gas, if the pot is running corectly and there is no refrigeration then this is the most likely cause.

Did you you test it the before it was sold?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back