Advice On Refilling System To Avoid Air Locks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone give me some advice please.

I have a back boiler system with 4 radiators downstairs and 2 upstairs.

Whenever I do anything to my system that requires me to drain it down, I always get air locks. This means that as many as 4 radiators are either cold or luke warm.

Sometimes it takes days of fiddling to get the lock to shift ie. lots of gurgling, then everything working normally.

What am I doing wrong? Can you advise me the best way to refill etc to avoid this in future?

Sponsored Links
I fill system and bleed downstairs rads 1st then upstairs. Usually works ok.

Last week i did have an airlock in system but cleared it by sucking on the air vent on the flow to cylinder :eek: Not overly recommended

Find your lowest drain point, put a hose on it and fill that way.

stick a jublee clip on it or you will be stood in your garden thinking whos going to be in the next big brother and your kitchen will be filling with council pop.

Sponsored Links
Thanks to all for the advice.

Has anyone got any tips on how to clear an air lock quickly if I get one in future?

PS Petit_pablo - you suggest sucking on the air vent to the cylinder flow. Do you mean the vent pipe in the loft?

Thanks again

I dont mess about anymore i get some hose pipe connect onto the main in the loft and push it into the cold feed in the h/tank and it fills no proplem,any air pushes out with ease

PS Petit_pablo - you suggest sucking on the air vent to the cylinder flow. Do you mean the vent pipe in the loft?

Thanks again

Nope i meant on the piped upstand before the cylinder coil. I doubt it would work every time though, the air lock was around the pump and MPV area

This is really bad advice and not something you should seriously consider doing as CH inhibitants are toxic and you don't want to risk swallowing any.

MW

This is really bad advice and not something you should seriously consider doing as CH inhibitants are toxic and you don't want to risk swallowing any.

MW

Wasnt really suggesting it was a good idea to try it, i did point that out.

Yes, since noticed but the OP clearly didn't see it and I was concerned that they may actually try it and end up at the wrong end of a 4 hour wait target in A&E ... No offence intended.

MW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back