Advice on replacing fuses with MCBs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I'd be really grateful for any advice on the subject of replacing fuses in my 2 Wylex consumer units with modern MCBs.

Basically our house used to be flats, so there are two consumer units which are a bit different. I've linked below to a couple of pics and I'd be really grateful for any feedback on which types of MCBs I'd be best off using.

The reason I want to change is basically to make it easier for my girlfriend to switch the fuse back on if one ever goes in my absence.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/itsrlf/4470653256/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/itsrlf/4470643766/

Thanks in advance!

Pop[code:1][/code:1]

Sponsored Links
you dont seem to have any RCD protection, i would advise a PIR on an installation using consumer units of this age.

Certain tests should be done on the wiring before changing the fuses to MCB's and i beleive this work is notifiable with the LABC.

Wylex MCBs are available which would fit these boards, and would be a convenient solution to repairing a fuse.

However, a new consumer unit with appropriate RCD protection would be a far superior improvement in terms of electrical safety, consider this before buying the MCBs.

Also, a periodic inspection may be in order to assess the state of the installation, as those fuseboards suggest old wiring, which may need upgrading in some form.

It's also worth mentioning that those MCBs are so ridiculously expensive, you can probably replace the boards for the (parts) cost of the MCBs..

Sponsored Links
The reason I want to change is basically to make it easier for my girlfriend to switch the fuse back on if one ever goes in my absence.
That will happen approximately never.
Fuses blow for a reason, usually because there is a fault elsewhere which needs to be fixed before the fuse is replaced.

Those (probably wooden frame) fuseboxes should be completely replaced, or left just as they are. Fitting MCBs to them will be a total waste of £100+

plug in MCBs offer little improvement over standard fuse. They might respond fractionally quicker, but for all intents and purposes they are just a glorified fuse.

Given the "fragmented" appearance of your installation, consideration should be given to a full rewire with a single CU somewhere obvious. Failing that, replace those two fuseboxes with two RCD protected consumer units.

As flameport said, they are probably wooden backed. They complied with regs about 50 years ago when they were fitted. Replacement is long overdue. Put the £100+ towards a new setup.

The plugin MCBs cost about £6 retail. DIN mounted MCBs (for new consumer unit) cost about £2.50. ;)

Still quite expense. At that price, they still cost almost as much as a new board.

Buy some B6 ones from Paul's link, fit these to your lighting circuits. These are the only ones that should pop without an underlying serious fault (incandescent lightbulbs can take a fuse / MCB out when they blow). None of the other ones will blow unless something is wrong (such that just replacing the fuse/resetting the breaker ain't the thing to do)

Consider upgrading you electrics next time you come to renovate your house.

Personally I'd rather have BS3036 fuses over a B6 MCB.

Fuses don't generally operate when a lamp fails, where as the MCB more often than not will.

It's actually less convenient IMO to 'upgrade' to MCBs

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back