Advice on replacing old manual thermostat with digital progr

Hi,

Thanks again for all your input on this - it really is appreciated.

I currently have a regular boiler and hotwater tank, so I see exactly what you mean - i.e. leave the heating on the main timer on all the time and just leave the existing timer to control the hot water only.

It is also reassuring that the CM907 has been mentioned a number of times - for around the £60.00 mark, I agree that that seems spot on for what I need. I shall put an order in for one tonight.

The settings that Charnwood and D_Hailsham suggested seem to be exactly the sort of settings that I will use.

Many thanks very everyone's help on this.

Alex

Sponsored Links
|Be aware though that due to numpties like Kayadee or whoever he/she was, Honeywell disable the optimisation bit out of the box so you need to go into installer mode to turn it on.

It will then take a few days to settle in.

Hello Dan - thanks for the heads up on that.

Strange that it is not optimised as default but I can certainly see why perhaps some might not want this option on (though I shall certainly be using it).

One other final question if that is ok (last one, I promise).

Although I was going to order the CM907 last night, I did hold off to compare it with the CM927 and I cannot decide whether there are any benefits of a wireless thermostat.

Other than convenience, the literature on the net seems to suggest that it can prove more energy efficient than a fixed thermostat as you can actually take it into the room that you are in and it will keep it at that actual temperature, rather than an approximate temperature sensed in another part of the house.

The premise for the saving seems to be that if you then decide to go to bed and your bedroom is, say, better insulated (and assuming you wanted the room to remain at the same temperature) the heating would be on less to keep that room that temperature overnight.

I can sort of see the benefit (and the downside of your then leaving the thermostat in the bedroom the next morning and then having it too cold in the living room) but I would be interested to know whether it is a good idea in actual practice.

My current thermostat is half way up my wall in the hallway (which I believe is where it should be) and I have a small/medium sized bungalow so I cannot believe that the temperature between the rooms and the hallway is going to differ that much.

Your thoughts on what to finally go for would be great (I least I have narrowed it down to two models).

If your current thermostat is in a decent reference position then a wireless one probably isn't worth the cost - although hit does have a "Window Open" detection function that the 907 is missing.

With the optimisation function enabled, moving the stat around is the worse thing you can do as it will confuse the a7se off it.

I can't remember the exact time period it scans back to, but 36 hours rings a bell. So changing the location is very very counter productive.

Drafts are probably your biggest consideration in a bungalow.

Sponsored Links
Really good point - definitely certain now that the 907 is the way to go and shall order one now.

You are completely right that my bungalow is indeed rather draughty.

I shall save the £40.00 that I didn't spend on the the wirelss version and consider some draught excluders for the backdoor!

Thanks so much for your help on this one - really very grateful.

Alex

I had a honeywell stat and an ST699 hot water/heating programmer, and the 'stat died.

So I fitted a Drayton Digistat +3 in is place, and now have the heating on the ST699 set to "on" permanently, so the digistat takes that role over.

Works well. :mrgreen:

|Be aware though that due to numpties like Kayadee or whoever he/she was, Honeywell disable the optimisation bit out of the box so you need to go into installer mode to turn it on.

It will then take a few days to settle in.

Dan, why are you referring to me as a numptie, I simply tried to offer the poster advice on a room thermostat type, the poster revealed the fact that he wanted a night setback temperature after my posting, from there of course, a programmable thermostat was the way to go.

Because it was patently obvious form the first post what was wanted and indeed required.

You're the one that told ME to read the posts!!! Which at this stage I just find mildly amusing. I had read, understood and responded as I felt necessary.

Perhaps YOU should read posts more carefully?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back