Advice on safety of existing garage wiring

volt drop = 18mv/a/m (based on 2c swa pvc)
multiply by actual load in amperes (running load)
multiply by length in meters
divide by 1000

if the installation is pre 17th you will be allowed 4% of 230 which equates to a max of 9.2v drop.

this will work out whether or not the cable is suitable.

Sponsored Links
KKen what you have there is not legal you can not run a garage installation off of ring final circuit spur.
On what grounds do you claim it's not legal? It's not compliant with BS7671 but BS7671 is NOT law.

Part P (which hadn't come into force when this work was done) only requires "Reasonable provision shall be made in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury.". IMO provided the Zs is in spec and the cable is at least 2.5mm^2 this installation does meet that.

The poster originally wrote that the installation is spured off the ring final circuit. If he had said that it was spured into a FUSED spur unit then, it may be a little different. Though still not Ideal at leat the 2.5mm cable coming of the ring would have the protection of either a 13amp or 5amp cartridge fuse on the load side of the spur. Agreed that even the garage installation is pretty safe but you could argue that the 2 double sockets going back to the FCU is bad practice and wrong, they should be in parallel after the FCU. I just think that you should advise someone on the best way of doing the installation

If it's a direct spur of the ring then according to the 7671 it is not permitted. Again we can all argue that the 7671 is not a statutory document, but it can be used in a court of law, so to me if you do any work that complies it is legal. Would a sparks really spur off a ring to feed a small CU that will then feed more circuits, we just would not do it surely.

Again agree you can fit or install outside the regs provided you can prove that it is safe, but do you want to spend weeks in a court if anything went wrong trying to persuade someone what you did was safe, I wouldn't.

Think bottom line to work too is, any installation that exists and can be argued safe or not is pretty sound. Shouldn't we also be working to the standard of "Would I admit that was one of my installations".

If you look at something and you think I would not put my name to that, and when someone asks you your opinion, wouldn't it be right to advise a better way to do it. It is then upto them if they want to change it.

But arguing the semantics of wether it is legal, not legal, not this or not that, the final argument should be is it correct and the best way to do it. Doing it as the poster described is not IMO the best way.

Yes, but you must not misrepresent the status of BS7671 because it's too much trouble to explain it properly.

Sponsored Links
My word - they really are on a mission, aren't they....

Let's try to reinstate it.

Just trying to nip in the bud any attempts to behave like people do on other forums by lying about what is or isn't legal because it's easier than explaining the truth.

If you ask a question on this site, and you're told that what you want to do is illegal, ask just which law makes it so, and then go and check for yourself that what you were told really is true.

images

icon_minipost.gif
Posted: 13th August 2010, 09:40
thumb_down_mini.png
Rated: -1 Post Subject:

if the installation is pre 17th you will be allowed 4% of 230 which equates to a max of 9.2v drop.
If you make any changes then the current regulations will apply.
Would whoever gave that a thumbs down please explain why work done now does not have to comply with the regulations in force now?

Well, it's been 2 days now, and no justification has been forthcoming. Nor could there be if we waited 2 weeks, 2 months, or 2 millennia.

KKen - if you're still reading this thread please note - what I said was 100% correct - it's the edition of the Wiring Regulations in force now which applies to electrical work done now, not the edition which was in force when the original installation was done.

See here for a discussion about how the rating system is being abused by people for reasons of personal animosity.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back