Advice on staircase issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Hi

I'm currently refurbishing a house and I have a staircase which will have a handrail & spindles. The problem is that the existing newel posts are twisted, mainly the one at the top of the staircase (see pics) is there anyway to replace these for new square posts without compromising the strength of the staircase or having it turn into a costly job, I thought about making a hollow post from thick mdf sheets but it will look crap no matter how well it's put together.

Any advice appreciated'

Attachments

• IMG_5798.JPG
    IMG_5798.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_5797.JPG
    IMG_5797.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 99
Sponsored Links
Could it be planed/sanded to be less visibly twisted or is it so bad the post would be too thin afterwards?

Probably easier to just fit a new post? Or is it supposed to match existing ones?
Richard burbidge and others make components suitable for diy

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, I couldn't plane it, it's about an inch out, I'm new here so I'll check the woodwork section.

Either replace the post which may or may not be easy (depends on the structure, really) or cut it off flush to the floor, bore it, fix a large diameter dowel into the stump and then fit a new (straight) newel post onto that dowel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back