Help with staircase plan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

1st post here and looking for ideas / help on remodelling my stairs.
The house is a 1960's house in the UK and had one of those high gloss white plywood inbetween handrail and stringer sort of staircases.
We are putting spindles in, Oak base and handrail with white spindles.

however , I have a slight issue where the staircase is a quarter turn staircase to a landing. But the raise for the quarter turn is only 2 steps. The newel post on the start of the quarter turn is not high enough to support the landing handrail.

The previous owners added a piece of wood aside the start of the quarter turn newel post to bring it to the correct height.
The handrail for the landing then rested on this and was masonary nailed in on the other side to 900mm high from floor to top of handrail
On the picture of the landing you can see the indent where the original handrail was, the height of this doesnt match the height of the 1st newel, and also does not align anyway. Ive attached some pictures but really scrathing my head on this.

What would be the best approach?
This is what I have thought so far ...

Should I raise the newel post so the landing handrail can use the same newel post? (In fact even then it wouldnt work as it would be beside the newel post

DO I use the wood attached to newel post route again, just think it will look out of place if im putting spindles in, also the strengh of this would not be very good .

Should I Install a new Newel post just for the landing run (To the right of the 2nd newel post), my concern here is it would be way to close to the existing one and look cluttered

Should I Install a newel post between the 2nd newel and the last and also one on the right and also square of the stringer for the 2 steps.

Theres probably a really good way to do this but its been bugging me all week.

Any help, suggestions or ideas would be welcome and really appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

Attachments

• 20231008_171209.jpg
    20231008_171209.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 20231008_171222.jpg
    20231008_171222.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 58
  • 20231008_171235.jpg
    20231008_171235.jpg
    224.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 20231008_171242.jpg
    20231008_171242.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 56
Sponsored Links
A taller post at top of the stairs- but that would look weird as the handrail off the landing wall would intersect badly.
A better way would be a new newel post off the floor for the connection to a half newel on the wall.
There'd be a 90deg return off the existing top post.
Something like this ...

Attachments

• 20231008_171242.jpg~2.jpg
    20231008_171242.jpg~2.jpg
    406 KB · Views: 41
A taller post at top of the stairs- but that would look weird as the handrail off the landing wall would intersect badly.
A better way would be a new newel post off the floor for the connection to a half newel on the wall.
There'd be a 90deg return off the existing top post.
Something like this ...
Thanks, yes that makes sense actually , would flow like if the staircase was continuing then wouldnt it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back