Advice on wet rooms / shower enclosures

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’m currently planning a new bathroom and need some advice, it’s not a huge space (about 2m x 3m) but I have quite a good idea of the look i’m after.

I’m a bit confused about the walk-in shower enclosure though due to a lot of conflicting advice I’m receiving from various shops and fitters regarding what is and isn’t possible with my design ideas..

I’m after a very minimal, low profile look… the prerequisites being:

• Glass screens are recessed channeled into floor and wall only with no other supporting metal work featuring on the glass

• The shower opening is a simple 500mm wide gap between the 2 x screens, so we don’twant a door

• The floor remains level between outside and inside the shower (so either a flush fitted shower tray, or a fully tiled wet room)

I've seen this completely frameless recessed shower screen design done countless times before but like I say, we’re having a lot of conflicting advice about it.

Here's a rough sketch of the area (shower space measure 1200mm x 800mm):

shower.jpg

Due to the probability that a small amount of water will find it’s way out through the shower opening, we’ve been advised by a shop to go for the full wet room option… (the glass panel therefore acting as a screen to stop the toilet getting wet and a screen to stop water escaping out the bathroom door).

However, someone else has advised that recessed channeling in a wet room is a very bad idea due to the potential for the tanking/seal to be broken when the recessed channels are fitted into the floor.
Their solution is to add a raised plinth / border around the shower space (which can be tiled over) and have the glass screens channeled into that instead…. but obviously we lose the continuous floor level.

Another bathroom shop has recommended we opt for a flush fitted shower tray, they feel we shouldn’t be too concerned about tanking the whole room… that perhaps a small area going beyond the shower enclosure area will be enough (they didn’t raise any concerns about recessed channeling damaging any tanking).

Any thought or advice based on past experiences would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Every shop will, as expected, have their own opinions. The people I would contact first, and ask for their comments, is the suppliers of the shower screen.

They are likely have a better knowledge of potential problems than any bathroom company.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back