Advice on which book to buy.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just about to build a new extension. I am notifying Building Control that I will undertake the basic electrics (inc Kitchen and shower room) but will get a qualified sparky in to fit a new Consumer Unit and test afterwards.

What book(s) would you recommend I purchase for reference (Are the original IEE 16th Regs books the easiest or are there better alternatives)? - Amazon.co.uk lists quite a few!

Sponsored Links
I think buying the full set of regulations may be a bit overkill for your use.

Electricians Guide Book

It is the belief of the Author that this Electrician's Guide will help the average electrician to understand, and to implement, these very complicated Regulations in the safest and most cost-effective way possible.

Also, I would suggest the "Which? Guide to Wiring & Lighting". can't remember the author's name. The Electrician's guide is a great book for the regs, but won't tell you 'how to' step by step.
Good Luck, and if you need any advice this forum is a wealth of knowledge!

Hi

Shouldn't need too much advice as in step by step, really just need reference for things like cable runs, notching joists, which switches should be double pole in kitchen etc.

Want to be able to show BCO that I know what I am doing!!

Sponsored Links
No, I would drill the joists for the power cables. I was thinking about copper pipes for plumbing at that point!

I'm going to be bloody busy in the next few months!

baldersj said:
Also, I would suggest the "Which? Guide to Wiring & Lighting". can't remember the author's name. The Electrician's guide is a great book for the regs, but won't tell you 'how to' step by step.
Good Luck, and if you need any advice this forum is a wealth of knowledge!
Hi,

I second the recommendation for the Which guide - it's a top book and helped me understand and implement a lot in our house. I suspect it is slightly out of date now (especially with Part P) but still has a lot of useful content.

so does this book have a lot of the calculations in and examples to easy follow, things like for temperature of cables, cable choices etc.? most things you woule expect to follow for a house instalation. how to do wiring diagrams for the full house?

cleverspark said:
so does this book have a lot of the calculations in and examples to easy follow, things like for temperature of cables, cable choices etc.? most things you woule expect to follow for a house instalation. how to do wiring diagrams for the full house?

No, but it makes it very clear what is DIY territory and what isn't. More importantly it emphasises the need to get all work checked out by a qualified electrician before getting them to connect to the supply!
I would feel happier knowing that someone had followed the advice given in this book rather than tried to copy what they had seen on the 'how to' boards at B&Q! :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back