BS 7671 17th edition - Which Book

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Largely for my own interest i wish to purchase a copy of the 17th edition and am wondering what I should buy.

I do not plan to undertake electrical work as a profession, although for various reasons have considered becoming part-p registered, but would like to be aware or able to make referance to the current practices, both on a theretical (ie, the letter of the law) leval and practical leval (ie, real world examples of what that requires).

-

There appear to be a number of 2008 17th ed books on ebay for a reasonable price. Presumably becuse people have either no further need for them , or have bought the 2001 or 2011 amendment copy? how much change is there in the amended book?
There are also CDs of the above, which are typically cheaper, but less suited to bedtime reading (yes i know, i need to get more!).

There are also the 'onsite guides' which may be in many ways be more useful/interesting to read?

Daniel

Sponsored Links
These
Reqirements/Regs
OSG
electricians guide to building regs
for starters.
The electricain guide to building regs could be up for an update.
The green books (requirements and OSG) are new amendments that have just come in.
Also on the inspection and Testing side.
practical guide to Inspection/Testing/Cert
and GN3
That will keep you busy at bedtime!
And spend some time looking here //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics
and if in doubt, don't be scared to ask.
There a couple of ways of becoming part p registered.
Full Scope for electricians
Define Scope for other trades that may involve electrical connections such as FCU, trades such as plumbers, kitchen fitters etc.

I have not yet bought the latest edition sure my son will ask me to get it soon. As a member of the IET it's cheaper for me. I have always bought them directly from IET.

However it seems form pre-amble main changes were the addition of Hospitals where some special regulations apply. I don't think there is any big changes on the domestic part other than it seems some relaxation on what is required when adding to an existing installation. Would be interesting to hear if this was the case.

However there were major changes when BS7671:2008 was realised and also before that also major changes when BS7671:2001 was realised.
So anything before 2001 is useless and even the 2001 copy will not be much help. Really you need either 2008 or 2011 to be any good.

Throughout time both the thinking of what is required and the new construction methods have forced changes. One of the problems is less and less metal in the house has raised the question about what should be earthed. It is a double edged sword with items not earthed there is no path so less likely to get a shock, but unless earthed a fault will not open the protective device so a shock hazard can remain undetected.

Years ago we went mad earthing everything even metal window frames but today we realise this is not the best approach and the bathroom regulations now change according to if a RCD is fitted or not.

Although the regulations have changed they are some complex there's no room to explain why and even the exam on the regulations does not test understanding but purely what it says.

So take just one regulation for an example.
314.1 Every installation shall be divided into circuits, as necessary, to:
(i) avoid hazards and minimize inconvenience in the event of a fault
(ii) facilitate safe inspection, testing and maintenance (see also Section 537)
(iii) take account of danger that may arise from the failure of a single circuit such as a lighting circuit
(iv) reduce the possibility of unwanted tripping of RCDs due to excessive protective conductor currents produced by equipment in normal operation
(v) mitigate the effects of electromagnetic interferences (EMI)
(vi) prevent the indirect energizing of a circuit intended to be isolated.

Now taking (iii) and (iv) work out how that says you should have to 30ma RCD's in a consumer unit! But it is the changes to that regulation which has resulted in the so called "17th Edition Consumer Unit" and the use of twin RCD's or RCBO's. And many of the regulations are similar and you will see on this forum many of a argument as to what is or is not allowed. Even to the if singular or plural means your only allowed one or minimum of one and I had to ask my wife with an English Degree to explain what it mean.

It is not bed time reading and it is designed for Electrical people who can be very pedantic at times. Likely the many guides will serve better than the regulations.

Sponsored Links
Ok, thankyou very much.

I agree that the guides may be far more accessable for evening reading, but am keen to have a copy of the book to refer to for select points as i read the guides to see where what has come from so will pick up a 2008 copy second hand and see how I get on with it.

Daniel

Don't waste your money. If as you say you want to be able to refer to current requirements, what use will an out-of date book be?
The changes in the 2011 edition are quite extensive, although many are not of great technical significance. However there are some additions, which if you buy the old edition you won't have.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back