Advice outside light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi could anyone offer some advice please

I had a latern outside with pir, I was having some work done and needed to take it down quickly so removed the wires, pulled them back into the garage and placed them into a junction box and tucked them away.

There were:
Black red and earth plus
Black and earth
4 in total (earths combined)

These wires come from a switch in the house and from memory (tho was 4 yrs ago) I think you might have been able to use the lamp as a pir security light or manual ( but not that sure now :(. )

I have bought a standard pir security light but when I have tested the wires before connecting two show as 12v one as nothing plus the earths ??

I cannot be sure but I'd be very surprised if there is a transformer anywhere as the cables as predominantly sunk into the walls

Any ideas ?

Sponsored Links
Yeah power on I used a small screwdriver tester, I have connected the light to the two 12v cables but doesn't work

Do this with that screwdriver and go and get a multimeter, or a two probe voltage indicator. You won't find anything with one of those things.

PS they are useless as a screwdriver too.

Post a picture of the wiring at the switch that operates the light, that might (might) help

Sponsored Links
Yeah power on I used a small screwdriver tester
Oh dear you will have the neon screwdriver police out, oh I see they already are! I use mine to mash the tea!
As above post, you require an approved voltage indicator, not something that is going to give misleading readings and may kill you!

I will need to re check this but I'm sure black cable was 12v all time and red 12v when switched on.

I had an electrician put some halogen down lighters in my bedroom next door to this light, I'm wondering if he has used low voltage, I remember him saying he had put a junction box in loft due to the volume of cables in one light.

The only thing that makes me confused further is the switch is a double one for porch light one for garage pir the porch is still working at 240, can one switch deliver two different voltages ??

I'd get him back but have had loft insulated and would rather nit disturb :(

I'm sure black cable was 12v all time
12V between that conductor and what?

and red 12v when switched on.
12V between that conductor and what?

You can't just "have 12V" - voltage always has to be between two points.

I'm wondering if he has used low voltage,
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:voltage-bands

The only thing that makes me confused further is the switch is a double one for porch light one for garage pir the porch is still working at 240, can one switch deliver two different voltages ??
A switch doesn't generate any voltage - whatever you put into it is what you get out.

It beggars belief that an electrician would switch the ELV output of a lighting power supply.

I'd get him back but have had loft insulated and would rather nit disturb :(
Well I think you're going to need an electrician - you're a bit out of your depth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back