Advice Please: 30 year + ICI Foam Cavity Wall insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 30 year guarentee certificate that was dated in 1977 for ICI Cavity Wall Foam insulation installed in my house. Is there likely to be a need to top up the insulation or renew it with a more modern variant - assuming that there is space for any more. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
i'm not familiar with the foam insulation but have been looking into having cavity wall insulation fitted myself.

the guarantee would have been an indication of the quality of the product used and the methods to install it.

i can't imagine that u will need to do anything with it. they are aimed at the life of the building. it would also be very difficult practically to do anything.

If u need any further assurance then u would need to contact the installer or whoever the part of ICI is now.

Urea formaldehyde foam expands and fills the cavity. You can't top it up and you can't renew it.

It does not degrade after the guarantee has run out!

Sponsored Links
In my experience foam has not lasted over the decades and has started to crumble over the years.It appears that the foam may shrink so it nolonder touches the inner wall. When I take windows out of houses I often find voids where there is no foam or find that the foam when touched turns to dust.
I believe there is a new method of blasting this foam with compressed air and removing it from the cavity so that modern polystyrene beads can be installed in the place of the foam.
While this might be slightly expensive the homeowner that I have experience of,described a warmer home.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back