ADVICE PLEASE - flooring guy disappeared with £1500

Sponsored Links
I'm sorry but giving him money was dumb.
I have never, ever, paid any money up front to a tradesman. Usually they want it for "materials". My attitude is that if they have such a poor credit record with their suppliers that they have to buy everything cash, then I won't employ them. Labour is always paid in arrears, as stage payments for large jobs.

I had a new boiler installed two weeks ago; I'm still waiting for the bill! I've used the guy before for servicing and repairs and I know where he lives.

Sweet memories of 45 years ago, when arriving in the Lake District from "down South" I had a new house to fit up.
Most stuff was obtained via the local carpenter/undertaker who pencilled your order on scraps of paper that he stuck on a nail in a beam in his workshop.
Four years later, when moving " back South"I was still begging him for my bill and it eventually arrived 6 months after I had moved.
Settled promptly with a cheque!
A gentler, friendlier and honest age.

I have never, ever, paid any money up front to a tradesman. Usually they want it for "materials". My attitude is that if they have such a poor credit record with their suppliers that they have to buy everything cash, then I won't employ them.

It's not to do with having a poor credit rating, or trying to stiff anyone. The fact is, if a tradesman supplies something, eg. a boiler, then as soon as it is screwed to the wall, it becomes the property of the homeowner. Wether paid for or not.

It's the tradesman's way of limiting his losses if the customer refuses to pay. If he's been paid for the materials, he only loses his labour.

There aren't many tradesmen who haven't lost money on a non-payer.

Sponsored Links
I have never taken a deposit for goods, I always supply all labour and materials and then i charge the full price on completion ie then and there the day i finnish i dont leave without payment, i am fully prepared to rip my goods of the wall then and there and i will tell the customer that if they say i will pay later... the goods are mine until paid for

The fact is, if a tradesman supplies something, eg. a boiler, then as soon as it is screwed to the wall, it becomes the property of the home-owner. Whether paid for or not.
Where did you get that idea from?

I was told by a reliable source long ago, and it has helped guide me in running my business. If someone can show me evidence to the contrary, I am prepared to be open minded.

The fact is, if a tradesman supplies something, eg. a boiler, then as soon as it is screwed to the wall, it becomes the property of the home-owner. Whether paid for or not.
Where did you get that idea from?
I was told by a reliable source long ago, and it has helped guide me in running my business. If someone can show me evidence to the contrary, I am prepared to be open minded.
It might be a good idea if you asked your local Trading Standards Department what the Law says. It's their job to enforce consumer related law.

If someone enters into a contract to purchase goods and then does not pay for them, it is Theft and possibly Fraud. There is also the crime of "obtaining a pecuniary advantage by deception".

i too was led to believe that aswell,
thing is if they stiff you for your labour thats 1 thing,but to do it on materials aswell then the tradesman himself can be up S**tstreet.
and the chance that the customer will allow you back in to redeem your goods are pretty slim.

so how are you meant to get them back??
oh take them to court,wont that take a bit of time?
will you get compensation? well if the customer has stiffed you for labour/materials the chances are he aint goner pay.
so back to having an empty wallet.

so as others have said if i were to do a big job,then i would ask for the material money upfront.then interim payments.

I'm sorry but giving him money was dumb.
I have never, ever, paid any money up front to a tradesman. Usually they want it for "materials". My attitude is that if they have such a poor credit record with their suppliers that they have to buy everything cash, then I won't employ them. Labour is always paid in arrears, as stage payments for large jobs.

I had a new boiler installed two weeks ago; I'm still waiting for the bill! I've used the guy before for servicing and repairs and I know where he lives.

DH what do you do, I thought you were gas-safe???

Andy

If someone enters into a contract to purchase goods and then does not pay for them, it is Theft and possibly Fraud. There is also the crime of "obtaining a pecuniary advantage by deception".

It's neither theft or fraud, it's a breach of contract.

True, but it may also be theft and/or fraud.

The problem comes when there is only a verbal contract.

If there was always an intention not to pay, it would be theft or fraud. IMO.

If there was always an intention not to pay, it would be theft or fraud. IMO.

Like walking out of a shop with something? Yeah I'd agree. Probably the difficulty of proving that intention when it comes to services is the reason it's a civil matter.

Sponsored Links
Back