Advice please: Guttering rainwater downpipe into soil pipe repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My elderly father (undiagnosed, but suspected early Alzheimer's) had a problem at his home with a broken soil stack which was repaired, but the rainwater downpipe wasn't reconnected at the time of the repair, so this has been draining directly into the garden.

Originally these were connected together, 1930s ex local authority property. I realise that modern regs don't allow for this, but understand that if the existing fitment was this way, that it's acceptable to maintain and repair.

In the past few days I arranged for a roofing/guttering company to repair/reconnect the two pipes.

I'm not impressed by the work that's been done, they've charged £200 for it and it's not a clean and tidy job at all, basically looks like they drilled a hole in the stack pipe and shoved the drainpipe in and masticked around it.

Now a day later the soil stack is leaking a few inches above the joined pipe.

Unfortunately I'm 6 hours away, but would appreciate any advice as to what an appropriate repair would be/how to proceed with the company who did the work.

Attached are before and after photos

Attachments

• IMG_20230610_195110.jpg
    IMG_20230610_195110.jpg
    381.4 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_20230610_195102.jpg
    IMG_20230610_195102.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_20230610_195059.jpg
    IMG_20230610_195059.jpg
    401.2 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG-20230615-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20230615-WA0000.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 173
Sponsored Links
I would get in contact with the company who carried out the work and explain to them it’s leaking and they need to repair it and connect it properly without charge and failure to do so will result in them being reported for poor workmanship. I don’t think they should be allowed to tee into the soil pipe and find it hard to believe it was done this way. I work in social housing (ex council) and none of theirs have been installed this way.

Hi CBW.

Thanks for replying. When we bought the house in 1999 the rainwater pipe was cast iron connected to the clay soil pipe. Seemingly it had been that way since it was built in 1939.

Problem started when the clay soil pipe cracked at the join.

The recent company was asked to connect them up again, but really think it looks bodged now.

Thought there'd be some sort of plastic or pvc pipe adaptor used to connect them, not sure if that exists though?

Who would you report them to? I've never had a problem like this before.

Thanks in advance

Reporting would be done to citizens advice, but they could be part of a trade body too. It is a definite bodge, especially what they charged you - at least most thieves have the decency to wear a mask.

Sponsored Links
what a joke that work is
If they wanted to bodge it they should have at least got a 110mm Y branch, inserted that into the stack, and put one of those downpipe->110mm adaptors in the side. Not hacked around with a cutting tool and bodged it in the side!

Even that would vent the stack through the gutters - the actual proper solution would involve groundworks and a new gulley with trap. I'm not sure what was there before would have met any regulations at any point in the past, as a gutter is not a vent.

I wouldn't invite those vandals back. If they were capable of good work they'd have done it. Look for a long established local builder and write off the £200.

Look for small ads in the parish magazine or ask trusted neighbours.

Thanks John, I have a previously trusted tradesmans details found now, on this occasion in hsste I used ratedpeople for the introduction to the cowboy... Live and learn...

Really appreciate all replies, does help to have thoughts validated by those with far more experience. Hope you have a lovely weekend!

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
I thought the water regulations were changed , one is not allowed to combine rainwater and foul water in a stack . Check with Trading Standards .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back