Advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a large garden but its on a slope.Im going split it into 3 terraces each one will have a 3ft(ish) drop.Now im not wanting to lay blocks/bricks as i want to do the work myslef and im no brickie ;) .Anyway would this work=If i concreted some fence posts in every 4 ft and to these fix some 8" x 2" timber.So it would be like a fence but 2" thick.If i then fill it in/level with hard core-rubbel/top soil would this work or would the weight of the soil be too much for it?If this would not work is there another way i could do it.

Sponsored Links
Your idea sounds ok, but I would use concrete posts and gravel boards for a much longer life. Maybe some textured gravel boards would look better too.
Are gravel board the concrete things?a bit like sectional garage sectioss?Sure they are.Anyway that sounds good,cheers.I was concerned about the wood rotting in time. ;)

Sorry i may be reading this wrong, but you wanna turn a simple fence into a 3ft retaining wall?

If so be prepared to replace it every few years when it falls down.

Sponsored Links
Reclaimed rsj's for posts with sleepers slotted in.

Sorry i may be reading this wrong, but you wanna turn a simple fence into a 3ft retaining wall?

If so be prepared to replace it every few years when it falls down.
This is why im asking,i have no experiance in such things.I want it last a reasonable time.Im going to go for the recomended concrete posts/gravel boards. ;)

Reclaimed rsj's for posts with sleepers slotted in.

A perfectly workable solution but a bit too rough and industrial for my liking in a garden, think council or coal yard.
Concrete the posts in as suggested along with the gravel boards at the same time and ensure the concrete extends outwards from the fence to provide a resistance to movement and I don't think you'll have any problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back